Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
auroraellen

Moving between sections - Lose assignment submissions and/or grades?

Jump to solution

If you add a student to a new section, will it affect their prior Assignment submissions and/or grades?

I use Canvas as an internal website for a Grant - for file sharing, providing orientation training, and collecting monthly reports.

I have been utilizing Assignments to collect training certificates for new hires. When someone comes on board, I add them individually to an assignment (so only orienting employees see the assignment).

It can be tedious to add employees to each assignment one by one, so I am considering creating a section for "New Employees" (so I can assign to that section only). But, I'm concerned that if I remove them from that section once their orientation is complete, I'll lose their records / grades.

Any guidance on do's and don'ts of moving people around would be helpful.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clong
Community Champion

Hi Aurora,

Your idea to create a section for "New Employees" so you can use the differentiated assignment feature to assign just the new Employees something is spot-on. Best of all, you do not need to worry about losing any prior assignment submissions or grades. If you decide to move them out of the new employees section, and into another section, anything that you have graded will remain in the gradebook so long as they are still enrolled in the course. So adding them to a special section should be a time saver for you and work nicely for what you are trying to accomplish.

As I was thinking about this, it sparked a couple ideas that might be helpful to you.

1) You could have a separate course just for new employees and one for all employees. You could share all the files everyone needs access to in the all employee course and once a new employee has finished the orientation course, you can conclude their enrollment in that course so they don't get notifications from it any further.

2) You could use something like Canvabadges (see: Badges for Learning​) to issue a badge to everyone who successfully completes certain modules like a new employee orientation module.

Just some food for thought. If you have any other questions feel free to post themSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

1 Reply
clong
Community Champion

Hi Aurora,

Your idea to create a section for "New Employees" so you can use the differentiated assignment feature to assign just the new Employees something is spot-on. Best of all, you do not need to worry about losing any prior assignment submissions or grades. If you decide to move them out of the new employees section, and into another section, anything that you have graded will remain in the gradebook so long as they are still enrolled in the course. So adding them to a special section should be a time saver for you and work nicely for what you are trying to accomplish.

As I was thinking about this, it sparked a couple ideas that might be helpful to you.

1) You could have a separate course just for new employees and one for all employees. You could share all the files everyone needs access to in the all employee course and once a new employee has finished the orientation course, you can conclude their enrollment in that course so they don't get notifications from it any further.

2) You could use something like Canvabadges (see: Badges for Learning​) to issue a badge to everyone who successfully completes certain modules like a new employee orientation module.

Just some food for thought. If you have any other questions feel free to post themSmiley Happy