cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelly_coban
Community Participant

Moving students between courses with submissions

Has anyone found a way to move a student from one course to another and retain their submissions?

We have some manually created courses we use to track Academically gifted education plans which include goals students have set and their comments about their progress in reaching their identified goal. Of course students change schools midyear and I need to be able to move the student's submissions for their education plan to the course of a teacher at their new school.

I have experimented with creating sections and cross listing however I loose the submissions when I cross list. Does anyone have an idea on how to make this happen? Work arounds? 

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kelly_coban , I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=3324565e-ac20-4d81-8634-18117e272f2...‌ group to see if they can offer any suggestions or awesome hacks, but in general no, I can't think of any way to make this happen. Submissions stay with the course and unfortunately that's pretty much the way it works from my previous experience.

kelly_coban
Community Participant

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully someone has an idea of how to hack this. We only need it for a small handful of students but it would be great if someone has found a way to make it happen.

We recently needed to do this and couldn't find any way around it. What we ended up doing was leaving the combined course alone, creating two new separate courses (one for each section), copy the content over from the combined into the separate, then copy the grades over into the separate courses, and last close/conclude the original combined section. This way the students and teachers could refer back to previous work, but could only submit and move forward in the new courses.

vanzandt
Community Champion

If the grades aren't too important, and you're just looking for a way to extract the submissions, you could masquerade as the student to use the Download Submissions feature from their Account -> Settings (How do I download assignment submissions from all my courses? ).  Or, if it's just a specific submission you could download from their Account -> Files. You'd still need to manually submit or provide those files somehow to the new teacher, but hopefully if it is a small amount of students, this work wouldn't be too overwhelming. 

kelly_coban
Community Participant

I had considered this solution but I was hoping there was something easier. It is just a handful of students at this time so this solution works

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kelly_coban ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

clarkbra
Community Participant

It sounds like there currently isn't a quick, click a button solution.  I'm just posting in hopes that a solution for this type of issue is created.   I have a similar issue at the start of semester 2 each year.   I need to work on students' grades from S1, so I can't migrate them into the S2 course immediately, so the first week of semester 2 assignments end up on the S1 course, and then I have to find a way to transfer those grades/responses to the S2 course.  It would be nice if you could click import student work for: put checks by module names.