cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hera
Community Participant

Multiple Numerical Answers

Jump to solution

In consulting the Canvas Guide, it indicates that a question can have multiple numerical answers.  I can create a question with multiple numerical answers but when I preview the quiz as a student, I am given only one answer box.

I feel sure I am missing something, but shouldn't there be an answer box for each answer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@hera ​,

You're recognizing what many math teachers have known for a while --- we need more functionality than is available in Canvas right now. In fact, Deactivated user​ from Canvas asked for feedback just today on a a related question about " modifiedtitle="true" title="Rounding in a Formula Quiz Question: Thoughts?

As for the question at hand, you gave me the information, but not the source, so it's hard to put it within context. Luckily, the Community has a search and once I had the text, I was about to find the source: How do I create a Numerical Answer quiz question?

You may have two correct answers, but only to one question. In the image right above what you quoted, it says "Students will be given an empty text box" (emphasis is mine). You get just one box.

So why allow multiple answers?

While it doesn't sound normal for a math question to have multiple correct answers, you might for something like "What is 20% or 30%" and then want either 0.06 or 6% as a correct answer. So you would put in 0.06 and 6 as correct answers.

A better use is probably to provide feedback for incorrect responses. So, if someone puts in 6, you could say, "Be sure to enter your number as a proportion, not a percent." or "Make sure you don't do any rounding until the end of the problem." That's probably how it was intended.

You could put in a feature request to add this functionality. But while searching to see if someone had already done so, I stumbled across where  @scottdennis ​ had answered essentially your question (you just didn't realize it at the time) succinctly and definitively for the current implementation of Canvas Fill In Multiple Blanks with numerical tolerances

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Community Champion

@hera ​,

Where exactly are you reading that in the guides?

I know you can create fill in multiple answers and use multiple dropdowns and give numeric responses as the choices you type in, but I've never seen anything for multiple numeric answers.

In those two question types that allow multiple responses, you need to do put in a placeholder like [a] and [b] to get multiple answer boxes to appear. But you don't have the functionality of a numeric response like specifying an interval of correct values. If 2.123 is the answer, you may need to accept 2.1, 2.12, 2.123 as correct values -- specifying all of those is a problem. Either that or you are really specific about how many decimal places to round to.

hera
Community Participant

Thanks for your response!

Here is is what I read in the guide:

1. The question text (use the Rich Content Editor to include video, images, math equations, or flash activities)
  2. Exact Answer with an error margin or Answer in the Range Question response options

Add as many correct answers as needed for the question. Delete extraneous answer options by clicking on the Delete icon [3].

I may not have been interpreting it correctly. I have a question that is basically two questions in one (but it's using the same data to calculate the answers).  I needed two answer boxes that will accept a numerical range for the answers.

I've seen this done in other LMS, but I guess it's not possible Canvas?

Thank you again though for your help!

James
Community Champion

@hera ​,

You're recognizing what many math teachers have known for a while --- we need more functionality than is available in Canvas right now. In fact, Deactivated user​ from Canvas asked for feedback just today on a a related question about " modifiedtitle="true" title="Rounding in a Formula Quiz Question: Thoughts?

As for the question at hand, you gave me the information, but not the source, so it's hard to put it within context. Luckily, the Community has a search and once I had the text, I was about to find the source: How do I create a Numerical Answer quiz question?

You may have two correct answers, but only to one question. In the image right above what you quoted, it says "Students will be given an empty text box" (emphasis is mine). You get just one box.

So why allow multiple answers?

While it doesn't sound normal for a math question to have multiple correct answers, you might for something like "What is 20% or 30%" and then want either 0.06 or 6% as a correct answer. So you would put in 0.06 and 6 as correct answers.

A better use is probably to provide feedback for incorrect responses. So, if someone puts in 6, you could say, "Be sure to enter your number as a proportion, not a percent." or "Make sure you don't do any rounding until the end of the problem." That's probably how it was intended.

You could put in a feature request to add this functionality. But while searching to see if someone had already done so, I stumbled across where  @scottdennis ​ had answered essentially your question (you just didn't realize it at the time) succinctly and definitively for the current implementation of Canvas Fill In Multiple Blanks with numerical tolerances

View solution in original post