Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nell_adkins

Multiple Question Groups within Quiz/Test?

Jump to solution

Does Canvas allow for multiple question groups within a single quiz/test? For example, Group 1 questions for question 1, Group 2 questions for question 2, Group 3 questions for question 3, etc.?

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @nell_adkins  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I read your question differently; if I understood, you would like to create multiple question groups within a single quiz—maybe each one would have five questions in it—and you want to set each question group to select a single question, so that different students will see a different Question 1, a different Question 2, and so forth. If so, the answer is yes: you can do that, and that's actually how I created my own quizzes. So if you want a quiz that presents 20 questions to students, with each student getting a different version of the quiz, you could create 20 different question groups within the quiz, and set each question group to select a single question from the questions you place within the group—or from a different designated question bank, if you're setting up your quizzes to draw from already-created question banks. You can read more about that at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12979-415298624 The lesson talks about using question groups to randomize questions, but that's not their only function.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nell_adkins  

I am not sure I understand what you are asking about.

Are you asking about a single Canvas quiz in which a set of questions are only available to one group of students, and another question set is only available to another group of students, etc. If so, then the answer is "no", this cannot currently be accomplished in Canvas, and I don't see is as a planned feature for Priority: Quizzes.Next‌.

However, you can create individual quizzes that are only available for a specific group of students in a section, and for which the quiz score is only calculated for that group in the Gradebook. You can learn how at How do I assign a quiz to a course section? 

You can also assign a quiz to just one or more students, but not to the entire class. Learn how at How do I assign a quiz to an individual student? 

Using one or the other of these methods, you could create several quizzes targeting specific groups of students, with only their specified quiz used for gradebook calculations.

If you are interested in submitting your idea as a feature request you can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

My question is much simpler, I think, than you are envisioning.

I’m asking about a single quiz available to a single group of students, but I’d like Canvas to choose randomly 1 question from a question group of 4 questions for quiz question # 1, and 1 question from a different question group of 4 questions for quiz question #2, and 1 question from a 3rd question group of 4 questions for quiz question #3, etc.

The Canvas Guide discussion on question groups seems to indicate that this is possible, but mainly discusses/addresses the idea of using a test bank and pulling - oh, say 20 questions from that test bank (test bank is the pool or question group) as quiz – and that is not what I’m interested in doing. I want to use multiple question groups/pools within the same quiz (for all students).

I think I can do what I’m asking, but I’m new to Canvas, and new to Canvas testing, and so wanted to ask.

Thanks,

Nell

Nell Adkins, PhD, CPA

Associate Professor

School of Accountancy

College of Business

The University of Southern Mississippi

118 College Dr. #5178 / Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001

P: 601.266.4259 / F: 601.266.4642

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @nell_adkins  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I read your question differently; if I understood, you would like to create multiple question groups within a single quiz—maybe each one would have five questions in it—and you want to set each question group to select a single question, so that different students will see a different Question 1, a different Question 2, and so forth. If so, the answer is yes: you can do that, and that's actually how I created my own quizzes. So if you want a quiz that presents 20 questions to students, with each student getting a different version of the quiz, you could create 20 different question groups within the quiz, and set each question group to select a single question from the questions you place within the group—or from a different designated question bank, if you're setting up your quizzes to draw from already-created question banks. You can read more about that at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12979-415298624 The lesson talks about using question groups to randomize questions, but that's not their only function.

Does that help?

Thanks. That’s exactly what I wanted to do. And I thought I could, based on the Canvas Guide, but the focus of the group quiz material did seem to be toward randomizing, and on pulling an entire quiz out of 1 test bank (1 pool or group of questions).

Thanks again!

Nell

Nell Adkins, PhD, CPA

Associate Professor

School of Accountancy

College of Business

The University of Southern Mississippi

118 College Dr. #5178 / Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001

P: 601.266.4259 / F: 601.266.4642

@nell_adkins ‌, I'm happy to hear it. Although you didn't ask, I will mention:

I also liked using question groups to organize my quiz questions by degree of difficulty. For example, I might have a question group that pulled a single T/F question from five possible T/F questions, with that single question being worth only a point. I might then have another question group that pulled a single multiple choice question from five possible M/C questions, and have that question worth 3 points. Then, I might create another question group with five video questions, with instructions to watch and analyze a video, and then answer the question: that question might be worth 5 points.

So there's a lot you can do with question groups. 

I'm glad this will work for you!

I must confess, the idea of created so many questions is a bit daunting, especially when starting out.  I can see how valuable such a resource could be.  This would require a well functioning professional learning community.