cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsedia

Multiple Submission Types

Jump to solution

Hi!

Is there a way that Canvas can integrate multiple submission types for users? If I select file upload and a student does the work on paper, if the deadline to turn in passes, the student gets the assignment marked as missing and affects their grade until I manually mark it in the grade book. Any suggestions for this? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dsedia 

You can currently set multiple submission types in Canvas. Several of my assignments are set to accept a file upload, the text box, and a media recording.  However, you are correct in that if an online submission is selected and the student does not submit online by the due date, then Canvas marks it as "Late", and if they don't submit at all Canvas marks it as no submission.  I never accept paper submissions, so this is not a problem for me even if I recognize that sometimes for some courses this might be a viable option.

If I was faced with this situation, what I would do is set the submission type to be "Online", then choose File Upload and Text Entry as my Online entry options. Then if the students experienced difficulties submitting online, I would ask them to make a note of that in the Text entry box before the due date.

Otherwise, let Canvas designate the submission as late if that is what it is.

Kelley

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dsedia 

You can currently set multiple submission types in Canvas. Several of my assignments are set to accept a file upload, the text box, and a media recording.  However, you are correct in that if an online submission is selected and the student does not submit online by the due date, then Canvas marks it as "Late", and if they don't submit at all Canvas marks it as no submission.  I never accept paper submissions, so this is not a problem for me even if I recognize that sometimes for some courses this might be a viable option.

If I was faced with this situation, what I would do is set the submission type to be "Online", then choose File Upload and Text Entry as my Online entry options. Then if the students experienced difficulties submitting online, I would ask them to make a note of that in the Text entry box before the due date.

Otherwise, let Canvas designate the submission as late if that is what it is.

Kelley