Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newmars
Community Participant

Multiple Teachers and Responding to Student Comments

Jump to solution

Hi Canvas Community,

I am new to canvas and e-learning. I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to respond to student question. Is there a way to respond to the students question so that the other teachers can see the thread without having to compose a new message? We are trying to keep track of what teacher has already responded to the students question.

Thank you,

Shelby

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@newmars ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

View solution in original post

6 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

Hi Shelby,

How are you currently handling these communications (or plan to, going forward)?  If through the inbox messaging, including all teachers on the communication with the student would keep it in a "conversation" style, allowing each teacher to see who sent the last message.  Same with a discussion board.

jamely
Community Champion

In my course design, we have one discussion board that is dedicated to student questions that other students might benefit from (or could answer!).

For personal questions, we instruct the students to copy both teacher and assistant (me) to make sure that their question does not fall through the cracks. If the student forgets to copy one of us, when we reply, we make sure to copy the other. It is very helpful that we have our settings for Canvas messages to go directly to email so that we don't have to constantly check the Canvas Inbox.

newmars
Community Participant

Hi Anthony,

Currently we are handling student notifications through the inbox and as Janell was suggesting we receive canvas notifications through email. It could be something with our settings. Even though I received an email student notification from Instructure <notifications@instructure.com>. I received a message reply failed email when I clicked reply to all in Microsoft Outlook, because when I clicked the students email link in the message it just went to the students and not the other teachers.

Email Error

The message titled "RE: Students Name (Training and Exam) just sent you a message in Canvas." could not be delivered. The message was sent from an address that is not linked with your Canvas account.  If you are trying to contact someone through Canvas you can try logging in to your account and sending them a message using the Inbox tool.

Thank you,

Canvas Support

newmars
Community Participant

Thank you for the reply, I will check my settings. I did receive the notification through an email but it did not send my reply to the other teachers when I clicked the students email link in the message.

newmars
Community Participant

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the reply. I was looking through inbox messaging and noticed we are using canvas catalog also. Not sure if that makes a difference.When I clicked reply the other teachers could not see my reply. At our institution there is another level of canvas operators. Is this something canvas administrators set up or would this be an issue of the teachers creating a new message, copying the students original notification and including the teachers. As Janell mentioned "questions falling through the cracks" is what we have been running into?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@newmars ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

View solution in original post