Multiple due dates and zero grades

Jump to solution
doug_rupik
Community Member

One of our instructors posted assignments with a July 2 due date, and set "zero grade for unsubmitted/late assignments."  Then, students entered the class and she changed the due date to July 9 (multiple due dates) for those students.  However, those students with the July 9 due date were still seeing a "zero" grade before submitting their assignments.

Does anyone have any insight into why this is happening, or how to prevent these late registration students seeing a "zero"?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@doug_rupik ,

The Missing and Late Submissions policies have a lot of notes at the top of the lessons in the Canvas Instructor Guide. I haven't measured the size of those notes for every page, but they're definitely some of the longer ones, with lots of warnings about things. This is understandable given the confusion it caused when they introduced the policies.

My "date change" was when I duplicated an assignment and accidentally published it (or maybe I didn't, I'm still not 100% sure on how it happened) without changing the date. It kept the old date, which as past due, and gave everyone a 0 for the assignment because it was missing. When I filed a support ticket with Canvas, they said that changing the date doesn't change the missing status.

A student submitting a missing assignment change the missing to late, but grading it without the student submitting does not remove the missing status.

The way to fix it is to go into the gradebook and view the Grade Detail Tray for each student (yes, each student for each assignment) and change the status to "none". If you have a lot of students affected, I wrote a script that would update everyone's status at once for an assignment. It's not polished (it's something you copy/paste into the browser's developer tools), but it made people affected by this happy. Removing Missing and Late Labels 

View solution in original post

0 Likes