cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddooley
Community Member

Multiple submissions for 1 assignment

Jump to solution

How do I allow multiple submissions by a student for an assignment?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @ddooley  Welcome to the Canvas Community! By default, students can submit and resubmit to the same assignment as many times as they would like until the "Available until" date set on the assignment passes. Students can only see their most recent submission, but instructors can view all of a student's submissions to the assignment in SpeedGrader.

Just as an FYI, next week new functionality will be released that allows instructors to place a limit on submission attempts, so be on the lookout for documentation around that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @ddooley  Welcome to the Canvas Community! By default, students can submit and resubmit to the same assignment as many times as they would like until the "Available until" date set on the assignment passes. Students can only see their most recent submission, but instructors can view all of a student's submissions to the assignment in SpeedGrader.

Just as an FYI, next week new functionality will be released that allows instructors to place a limit on submission attempts, so be on the lookout for documentation around that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
tina_christophe
Community Participant

We would like students to be able to submit an assignment via paper or online. Is there any way to allow for this so paper submissions are not marked missing?

It's my understanding that if you allow student to submit assignments via Text Entry and also by File uploads, either option will trigger that the assignment is completed. If you need them to do both, I think you'd have to create two different assignments for each type of submission. 

tina_christophe
Community Participant

We were hoping to have a submission check box area where a teacher is able to choose online and on paper (or none). This allows students that find it difficult to submit or complete assignments via digital the option to use paper. Creating two assignments creates an incredibly long gradebook and when syncing to our SIS - it does not work as some students would have one assignment complete but not the other.....

gnoack
Community Champion

If the students are submitting via paper, what would you need them to do in Canvas? Why not create it as an online assignment and inform students in the assignment directions they have the option submit via paper in class.  I'm assuming you are meeting in person at least once and a while.  

Or, you could create an assignment that allows both online and text entry.  Then ask your students who want to submit via paper to at least enter text in the text entry mode informing you that they plan to submit this in class.  That way it's at least marked as completed in Canvas. 

tina_christophe
Community Participant

Sometimes it's challenging to get students to even complete the assignments so having them hand in the assignment and complete a canvas task is a stretch. The student's assignment is marked missing if it is not submitted online - this creates a lot of extra work for the teacher having to manually remove the missing tag, enter the score etc.

Products we have used in the past have allowed us bulk remove missing flags in the grade book entry for an assignment. 

gnoack
Community Champion

I see.  The bulk remove would be a nice feature that I believe other's have asked for.