Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgibson1
Community Champion

Multiple uploads to an assignment

Jump to solution

Canvas Community:

Does anyone know if a student can *simultaneously* upload a file under the Text entry option AND hop over to the upload file option and attach a file? Scenario: We use Kaltura and have students upload videos which they attach to assignment submissions (works great). To do that, they use the Text Entry because they need to see the toolbar. Simultaneously, they would add a Word file regarding the video using the Upload File option. So they would bounce between the Text Entry tab and the File Upload tab > both submitted as "one" assignment.

Possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rgibson1​...

I don't think this is possible.  I tested this out in my own Canvas sandbox course where I selected "text entry" and "file attachment" as possible ways to submit an assignment.  However, after I saved the properties of the assignment, I saw "Submitting: a text entry box or a file upload".  I think the keyword here is "or".  When I went into Student View, I went to the assignment to try and submit it via text, but before I saved, I clicked on the "file upload" tab and attached a file and added a comment.  I submitted the assignment via the "file upload" tab, and I wasn't able to see the text entry stuff when I switched back to the instructor view.  Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rgibson1​...

I don't think this is possible.  I tested this out in my own Canvas sandbox course where I selected "text entry" and "file attachment" as possible ways to submit an assignment.  However, after I saved the properties of the assignment, I saw "Submitting: a text entry box or a file upload".  I think the keyword here is "or".  When I went into Student View, I went to the assignment to try and submit it via text, but before I saved, I clicked on the "file upload" tab and attached a file and added a comment.  I submitted the assignment via the "file upload" tab, and I wasn't able to see the text entry stuff when I switched back to the instructor view.  Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

rgibson1
Community Champion

Bummer...

RobDitto
Community Champion

You may be interested in a feature idea that is currently gathering info:

kadunkelberg
Community Participant

Here's a work-around I'm contemplating for now (though I'd love to see a multiple type submission as possible).

I'm planning to set up a Discussion topic where students can submit their files. This should allow students to write about their projects, attach one or more files to their post, and include a link or Twitter feed (using the Twitter app).

My students are already familiar with this, and they have expressed a desire to let other students see their final work in my class. If your students don't mind submitting publicly and if you don't mind that they see one another's work, then the discussion tool should work.

Otherwise, I would suggest setting up more than one assignment.

Example: In the original example, you could set up the Video assignment as the main one where the grade would reside. This would be set as text entry. Then set up another assignment for "Statement about Video" that was a file upload assignment. Put Video in the category where you want the grade.  You can set the grade to Submitted or not and make it worth 0 points. (Explain to your students that the points will be in the Video assignment.)

Alternatively, I suppose you could create a Video assignment and tell students to use the Video button to add their video and then copy and paste their essay into the text window below it.