cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_reiels
Community Participant

Music Notation in Canvas

Jump to solution

Our music teachers are beginning to use Canvas and would like to know if anyone has a suggestion for how to enter music notation symbols in Canvas.  They would like to be able to create activities and assessments in Canvas using music symbols and then would like students to be able to complete the activities and respond on assessments using symbols to complete activities.  Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @john_reiels ‌ - I definitely do NOT know the answer to this question (though I'm the son of a musician!) and although I do not personally know either of the people I am about to take the liberty of "tagging," I will mention  @don_bryn ‌ who I know from his previous posts is a musician in the Community.   I also wanted to point out another member who may help towards a solution, namely  @mbuonato , who posted a OneNote template here: One note musical templates 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @john_reiels ‌ - I definitely do NOT know the answer to this question (though I'm the son of a musician!) and although I do not personally know either of the people I am about to take the liberty of "tagging," I will mention  @don_bryn ‌ who I know from his previous posts is a musician in the Community.   I also wanted to point out another member who may help towards a solution, namely  @mbuonato , who posted a OneNote template here: One note musical templates 

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @john_reiels ...

I'm not sure if you would be open to using external apps that integrate with Canvas (there may be costs associated with these), but you might want to look into the following LTIs:

Edu App Center: Flat

Edu App Center: Noteflight

Edu App Center: MusicFirst Application Cloud

I've never used any of these LTIs myself, but I wanted to at least let you know these are available so that you might be able to investigate further.  Hope this helps, John!

john_reiels
Community Participant

Thank you  @kblack .  I appreciate the names and template suggestion.

john_reiels
Community Participant

Thank you for the EduApp suggestions   @chofer .  I will pass them along to our teachers.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @john_reiels ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you again.  I am interested to know if you've been able to find any additional solutions for music notation in Canvas.  Did any of the LTIs I linked above help your teachers?  What about any of the resources provided by  @kblack ?  Do you feel that one of the above responses has ultimately helped to answer your question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some suggestions about music notation, please come back to this thread to post an update so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, John.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!