cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snelson6
Community Contributor

Mute Rubric Row

Jump to solution

Is there a way to mute a row in a rubric without actually deleting it? We have an example where a professor says focus on 3 out of 4 rubric rows. Students may pick different three to focus on. Given this, is there a way to mute the other row such that the assignment is only out of 12 points, instead of 16 (each row is worth 4 points)?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snelson6
Community Contributor

Hi all,

I just wanted to circle back because my team has thought of a work around - if we know that a professor is going to make only 3 of the 4 rows mandatory, that professor can just alter the total points for the assignment. This of course assumes that each row is weighted the same, which it is for us. So, while it isn't a straight forward mute, it would mean that one of the rows doesn't count in the final score.

Just figured I would share the idea!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@snelson6 , it is not possible to "mute" a single row of a rubric, and if it's something the professor is keen on, he or she might want to make it the subject of a Canvas Feature Idea​ after reading How do I create a new feature idea?​ For what it's worth, if I wanted to grade an assignment in this fashion, I'd build it into the verbiage of each of the rubric cells (either this or that) and deploy the rubric to grade the assignment accordingly, with a lot of manual adjustments required.

snelson6
Community Contributor

Thanks for your quick response. I was thinking that would be the answer since I couldn't get it to mute via testing. Was hoping that I had somehow missed a way to exempt/mute it. Appreciate your thoughts on a solution. Will consider making it an idea!

snelson6
Community Contributor

Hi all,

I just wanted to circle back because my team has thought of a work around - if we know that a professor is going to make only 3 of the 4 rows mandatory, that professor can just alter the total points for the assignment. This of course assumes that each row is weighted the same, which it is for us. So, while it isn't a straight forward mute, it would mean that one of the rows doesn't count in the final score.

Just figured I would share the idea!

View solution in original post