Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcallil
Community Member

Muted results and Blueprint

Jump to solution

Hi Community,

We have successfully deployed Blueprint across our school.  We have discovered an issue with muted assignments and Blueprint synching that I'm hoping someone will have a workaround.

If there are existing assignments in a child course, when a Blueprint synch is performed midterm, the default that Blueprint is set to is to publish all resources.  This means if there are muted assignments in a child course, they become unmuted instantly.  For example, when a year level English course have muted results and the agreement is for all ten classes to release results at the same time, those results become unmuted as soon as the course has been synched.

Yes, the workaround will be to not synch when there are muted results.  Equally, I would think this is a flaw that needs addressing.  My question is whether anyone else has had the same issue and what did you do differently to resolve this?

Cheers

Phil Callil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pcallil
Community Member

Here I am replying to my own question.... in the interests of community, we seem to have identified the cause of this.  This is part of a response to staff:

Dear Colleagues,

Recently there have been a couple of reports of assignments suddenly becoming unmuted inexplicably.  When core subjects especially rely on releasing results in the same class time, this has been frustrating and annoying (to say the least). As you know, you will be alerted when an assignment is muted or unmuted but that’s not quite the point.

Testing today has identified the cause of this:

1. If an assignment is muted and a Blueprint synch is performed, the synch will work with assignments that are muted – no change to a muted assignment – it remains muted.
  2. If an assignment is muted and a change to that assignment is made at the .M (Master) level, then that assignment automatically is unmuted at the child course level. So, if a subject convenor makes a change to an assignment content or rubric, when the Blueprint synch is performed, it will unmute the changed assignment.

For the moment, subject convenors (those responsible for making changes to a course at the Blueprint level) need to be aware of this.  You can still make changes but you’ll need to alert your subject year level colleagues to mute back any changed formal assessment.

Canvas have been notified that we believe this needs addressing.  Thank you to Surain for his work in helping to refine the reason for sudden unmuting. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pcallil
Community Member

Here I am replying to my own question.... in the interests of community, we seem to have identified the cause of this.  This is part of a response to staff:

Dear Colleagues,

Recently there have been a couple of reports of assignments suddenly becoming unmuted inexplicably.  When core subjects especially rely on releasing results in the same class time, this has been frustrating and annoying (to say the least). As you know, you will be alerted when an assignment is muted or unmuted but that’s not quite the point.

Testing today has identified the cause of this:

1. If an assignment is muted and a Blueprint synch is performed, the synch will work with assignments that are muted – no change to a muted assignment – it remains muted.
  2. If an assignment is muted and a change to that assignment is made at the .M (Master) level, then that assignment automatically is unmuted at the child course level. So, if a subject convenor makes a change to an assignment content or rubric, when the Blueprint synch is performed, it will unmute the changed assignment.

For the moment, subject convenors (those responsible for making changes to a course at the Blueprint level) need to be aware of this.  You can still make changes but you’ll need to alert your subject year level colleagues to mute back any changed formal assessment.

Canvas have been notified that we believe this needs addressing.  Thank you to Surain for his work in helping to refine the reason for sudden unmuting. 

View solution in original post