cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmccann1
Community Participant

Muting Grades affecting the Total grades question

Jump to solution

By muting the assignment columns in Grades, will it also 'mute' the assignment from the calculated Total grade? If not, and this being what I want to achieve, will Unpublishing the assignment be the better way to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@cmccann1 ‌, taking your suggested remedies in reverse order, an assignment cannot be unpublished after it has received submissions. When an assignment is muted in the Canvas Gradebook, the instructor will see the assignment grade's effect on the calculated total, but students will not see its impact until the instructor unmutes the assignment. When I was teaching, the mute feature was an integral part of my grading workflow. Hope this answers your question!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@cmccann1 ‌, taking your suggested remedies in reverse order, an assignment cannot be unpublished after it has received submissions. When an assignment is muted in the Canvas Gradebook, the instructor will see the assignment grade's effect on the calculated total, but students will not see its impact until the instructor unmutes the assignment. When I was teaching, the mute feature was an integral part of my grading workflow. Hope this answers your question!

Hi Stefanie,

I have an assignment published but muted, and am using it to add a NEGATIVE percentage for attendance where necessary.  For some reason, the entry for the particular 'attendance assignment' is not impacting the total calculated grade and I'm not sure why.  Any ideas?  Will unmuting do the trick?

-Dawne

@stefanik_12 ‌, I have not used negative percentages, so I can't speak to how that might affect the calculation of the grade. Perhaps someone who has tried that will be able to weigh in here.

When you say "attendance," are you referring to the Roll Call tool?

Hi Stefanie-

I am not using Roll Call.  I used TopHat to take attendance outside of Canvas.  The way I have the course set up is that for every class that a student misses due to unexcused absence, they lose 1% of their total course grade at the end of the course.  I have a weighted grade system, but have the attendance portion set up as 0% of the total course grade so that it wouldn't be additive, but instead only subtractive.  So I basically go in and put in a negative value for students with unexcused absences.  So a student who has two unexcused absences gets a -2% score for my attendance column in the grade book.  The problem is that the substraction is not being calculated into the final grade for some reason - and I already went ahead an unmuted in the hopes that it was the muting that was the problem.  Apparently that is not the problem either because the calculation still isn't coming out right....basically it is UNAFFECTED with my entry of a negative number.