cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My modules will not show up after my teacher has published them

Jump to solution

When I click modules on my Canvas home page the modules will not show up, I have tried restarting my computer and signing in and out of my account twice. My teacher has published them and republished them but they will not show up.

I know that you do not have access to my canvas and my schools organization canvas, but I was wondering if anybody might have a solution to why this is happening. 

-Jack Boyles

1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @3143957 .  It is a little difficult to say without being able to see the course itself.  There are a number of reasons why a module may not appear.  Common issues are not having it published or having the modules tab hidden.  It sounds as though you have the "modules" tab, which is good to know as this suggests it is not hidden and as you mentioned, your teacher has published and unpublished the modules.  It may be good for the teacher to double check that the module itself is published in addition to the content within that module (see Modules not visible to students).

You can't do this as a student but I normally will ask a teacher in these situations to go into the student view (available from the course home and settings tabs) and see if the modules appear.  If a teacher cannot see the modules in the student view then those in the class will not be able to see the modules either.

I know that in a previous post you mentioned speaking with a support individual at your school and learning that cookies were causing some problems.  If this person is a Canvas administrator, he/she will be able to go into this course specifically and look at what is happening.  When I do this for faculty at my institution, sometimes the issue is clear and other times I have had to contact Canvas Support to get insight into what may be happening.

I hope this helps and good luck!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @3143957 .  It is a little difficult to say without being able to see the course itself.  There are a number of reasons why a module may not appear.  Common issues are not having it published or having the modules tab hidden.  It sounds as though you have the "modules" tab, which is good to know as this suggests it is not hidden and as you mentioned, your teacher has published and unpublished the modules.  It may be good for the teacher to double check that the module itself is published in addition to the content within that module (see Modules not visible to students).

You can't do this as a student but I normally will ask a teacher in these situations to go into the student view (available from the course home and settings tabs) and see if the modules appear.  If a teacher cannot see the modules in the student view then those in the class will not be able to see the modules either.

I know that in a previous post you mentioned speaking with a support individual at your school and learning that cookies were causing some problems.  If this person is a Canvas administrator, he/she will be able to go into this course specifically and look at what is happening.  When I do this for faculty at my institution, sometimes the issue is clear and other times I have had to contact Canvas Support to get insight into what may be happening.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you! I will go to my teacher and ask her about the student view that she can see 

I am giving you a badge and some points for helping me out! 

Thank you

-Jack Boyles 

-3143957@ccpsnet.net

You are certainly welcome  @3143957 , and like  @kmeeusen  I am glad to have you a part of the Community and happy to see your level of participation!

Well Mr. Werth there could not be a Canvas community without you and the rest of the community.

-Jack Boyles

Actually,  @3143957  , I am going to correct you and I suspect that ericwerth‌ will agree!

There cannot be a Canvas Community without Canvas users, and there would not be a Canvas with out Canvas students. We are all grateful to you, all the other Canvas students and all the other Canvas users for making this Community our "Happy Place".

Thank you,

Kelley

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @3143957  , and the first thing I would like to do is thank you for your amazing level of engagement in our Community!

One likely cause is something we frequently see with our new faculty - they have published all of the content in the module thinking that this will make the content available to their students, but have neglected to publish the actual module. Took about 6 calls back and forth with a new faculty member at the start of this term.  Below are some examples you can share with your instructor if needed..........

Teacher view of everything published in a module, but without the module published.........

293815_pastedImage_5.png

Student view of same module - you will note that there is no "Introduction" module in the image below......

293816_pastedImage_6.png

So if needed, show these images to your teacher, and see if he forgot to publish the modules.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Kelley

Thank you Mrs. Meeusen!

I asked my teacher and showed her and she must had not published it by accident, Thank you!

P.S- I have changed my name to "  J*** B*****  "  Just for privacy reasons for my school, so when you see my name with stars nothing is wrong but I have been told I should keep my name private to be able to make sure my school is secure

-J*** B***** 

Thank you