cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stajohnson
Community Member

My students have access to my own one drive through word online! Help.

When my students go to modules and access a file that I have connected to my one drive account, the file comes up in Word Online - good. On the right side of the screen, students can click on Edit Document which allows them to download the file - I would rather them not be able to do this and would like to know how to prevent this from happening, but this is not the major problem. The major problem is found over on the left hand side of the word online file where my name resides with the one drive file location of the document.  When students click on this, they get right into my personal one drive account and can have free reign to do whatever.  I cannot figure out how to stop this and neither can our IT guy or any teachers.  I am desperate for help. School starts, again on Tuesday.  Please help me to stop the sharing of files.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @stajohnson ...

I'm not sure I have a complete answer for you, but I do have some questions...

• Do you have Office 365 (O365) connected to your Canvas course?  I am assuming this based on when you mention Word Online and One Drive.
  • Have you confirmed with a student that he/she is seeing your files when logging in One Drive via Canvas?  (By default, I think the button is actually called "Office 365" if you have the O365 LTI installed in your course.)  If you are referring to the "Office 365" button LTI on your left navigation bar, you should only be seeing your account files, and students should only be seeing their O365 files...not yours.
  • Have you considered hiding the "Office 365" button on your course navigation?  That way, only you would be able to see your files, and students would not have access to this button in the course.

If I have completely misinterpreted your question, my apologies.  Please clarify if I'm not understanding your question correctly.  Thanks!

Our school, district, and IT guy are all new to the Canvas family so anything out of the ordinary is a new experience, as this has proven to be.

Forgive me if I do not have the lingo down. I have attached a picture of what the students (my daughter specifically) can see when the get onto my canvas page. Notice my name and file location on the left hand side of the document. As far as I know, I have turned off every stop editing, do not allow view, stop sharing, etc. link that I have been directed to from One drive, Canvas, and even Google drive. I am so glad that someone is willing to try to help me. This seems to be above people's heads.

As for your questions:

• Do you have Office 365 (O365) connected to your Canvas course? I am assuming this based on when you mention Word Online and One Drive.

• I assume O365 is connected because it is what is on our school computers and it is what the default One Drive is through.

• Have you confirmed with a student that he/she is seeing your files when logging in One Drive via Canvas? (By default, I think the button is actually called "Office 365" if you have the O365 LTI installed in your course.) If you are referring to the "Office 365" button LTI on your left navigation bar, you should only be seeing your account files, and students should only be seeing their O365 files...not yours.

• What I can confirm is that when my daughter opens up her Canvas and then goes to a module and opens up files that I have put there to access, the files look like the attached print screen. When we click on my name, it goes directly to my one drive where the user can change sharing set up, delete files, and edit files. It was horrifying to see that this could happen.

• Have you considered hiding the "Office 365" button on your course navigation? That way, only you would be able to see your files, and students would not have access to this button in the course.

I am open to doing anything as long as students can have access to power points and notes that they will need to reference. I think that you are referencing the side section where the only thing that students can access are Modules, Pages, Syllabus, and Grades. I have hidden everything else in settings.

Stacy Johnson

Layton High School

Family and Consumer Sciences

natalie_norton1
Community Champion

Hi - apologies if this is a silly question, but just wondering if your daughter is logged in on a pc you have already logged into onedrive on, and that it is defaulting to your log in in onedrive when she clicks through? 

I only ask as we had a similar panic about onedrive access one day, but it was fine when we checking on another pc!

Awesome thought. Yes, the 4 computers I have tested this on were all ones that I have logged into. I will go to the computer lab and use a random computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@stajohnson ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie