cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Mysterious Message in my Inbox

I received an inbox message from a students' account, but I don't know who sent it: "Broken file link found in your course"  is what the header reads, and the content of the message reads "This most likely happened because you imported course content without its associated files. This student wrote: unit 2 vocab".

I asked the student if she was the author, and no. I asked her mother, and no. Was this message sent automatically from CANVAS and, if so, why was it not signed? 

Thanks in advance,

Matt

9 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Now that,  @matt_hawkins ‌, is weird!

Canvas automatically identifies the senders of messages. I am suspecting you may want to submit a support ticket. Whomever that sender might have been, they did do you a favor!  Did you try replying to their message, because Canvas will also identify the receiver of an Inbox message.

Kelley

matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Yes, I did reply - twice. The first time, I thought that I was writing back to the student, but the second time was when I realized that my student had not written the original message. It is quite a mystery, actually.

This makes me wish I knew how to type the theme song from Twilight Zone!

matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Sent from my iPhone

lchallen
Community Contributor

I also have just been asked this, see pic below. We often link to pages which are open at institution level. Is this automatically generated when a student clicks on a broken link?

Broken file link found in your course message

@lmcbain ‌ membletonsmith‌  @dbarrington 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @matt_hawkins ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we haven't seen any new activity in this topic since January 24, 2018.  In reviewing the above responses, were you able to find a solution to this oddity?  Were you able to reach out to the Canvas Help Desk folks to see if they might be able to assist you?  If so, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Would you be willing to share that with us?  Or, if you are still looking for some assistance from members of the Canvas Community, please let us know that as well by posting a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Matthew.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

matt_hawkins
Community Participant

Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me about this. I don’t remember the specifics, but I do know that the issue was resolved.

Thanks,

Matthew

tle1
Community Member

We've had this same thing happen to a large course with instructors getting multiple messages from people who may not have sent them.

Instructors got multiple copies. There were broken links on the page.

Broken file link found in your course

This most likely happened because you imported course content without its associated files.

This student wrote: (canvas page  url)

*student pic here)

You can reply to this message in Canvas by replying directly to this email. If you need to include an attachment, please log in to Canvas and reply through the Inbox.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tle1 ...

I know this may not directly answer your question, but do the instructors use the course link validator available to them within the course "Settings" to check for any broken links?  This would tell instructors if there are links, for example, that are pointing to other courses...which would then need to be fixed.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12770-4152476605 

I hope this extra bit of information will be helpful to you in some way, Todd.