cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amoulder
Community Member

Need Help with Math Editor in Canvas

Jump to solution

I am looking for a way to strikethrough some math problems. I want to to show the steps of how to solve a math problem and strikethrough each step as I build it. I found some laTex that can do it, but it does not seem to work in the math editor in the RTE. It is possible or is the math editor limited in what it can do?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Champion

Hi, Annette!  Michael is correct, but you probably want the code.

To get:

308722_pastedImage_1.png

The code is:

308738_pastedImage_2.png

Whatever is in the brackets will be crossed out.  I haven't found the code, yet, for the horizontal strike through.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Annette,

I am by no means an expert on math notation or LaTeX, but it looks like you can use the Advanced view in the Math Editor to paste in LaTeX directly?  There's more info athttps://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12859-4152724160 

Mike

Community Champion

Hi, Annette!  Michael is correct, but you probably want the code.

To get:

308722_pastedImage_1.png

The code is:

308738_pastedImage_2.png

Whatever is in the brackets will be crossed out.  I haven't found the code, yet, for the horizontal strike through.

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

Here is the documentation for the cancel package. The \cancel, \bcancel, \xcancel, and \cancelto are supported. I wasn't able to get the \renewcommand part to work to change the color of the slash.

Community Champion

I couldn't get it to work either.  However, I do have directions for changing the color within an equation.

I just realized that you were the one who gave me directions for printing color in the equation back in November.  

Thank you!  My math pages look much better, and the math teachers that I have shared this with LOVE being able to do color!

James
Community Champion

I was trying to get the color of the slash to be a different color with the \renewcommand statement. In the past, I think I've been able to use \newcommand, but I guess \renewcommand doesn't work.

When I'm writing LaTeX directy (outside Canvas), I have used \sout (strikeout) or \st (from the \soul package), but those don't appear supported by Canvas.

I use the censor package when I need to create handouts with blanks for the students to fill in. I run it twice, once censored to get the blanks and once without it to get the keys.

Of course, since the equation editor in Canvas is only intended for equations, much of LaTeX is not supported.

mouldera
Community Participant

Thank you everyone! Thank you, James for the resource! It has been very helpful! 🙂 I knew I could count on the community here to help out. 🙂