Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_mawhinne

Nesting Blackboard folders in modules

Jump to solution

Canvas imported all of my Blackboard folders as modules. How do I nest folders within modules. It appears you can only reorder them.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thomas_mawhinne , greetings! I'll be honest that I'm not that familiar with Blackboard, but I am pretty familiar with Canvas! Canvas doesn't have folders for it's Modules (folders only exist in the Files area), so I'm not sure what you are doing when you reorder them. Do you mean you can only reorder the Modules? If so, then yes, you can reorder the Modules, but you can't nest folders or content in the Modules. There is a feature idea for something similar to this that is currently on Product Radar. My recommendation is to read through it and then vote and comment if you feel this feature would be helpful for you - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4636-modules-within-modules 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thomas_mawhinne , greetings! I'll be honest that I'm not that familiar with Blackboard, but I am pretty familiar with Canvas! Canvas doesn't have folders for it's Modules (folders only exist in the Files area), so I'm not sure what you are doing when you reorder them. Do you mean you can only reorder the Modules? If so, then yes, you can reorder the Modules, but you can't nest folders or content in the Modules. There is a feature idea for something similar to this that is currently on Product Radar. My recommendation is to read through it and then vote and comment if you feel this feature would be helpful for you - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4636-modules-within-modules 

Hope this helps!

Kona

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@thomas_mawhinne ‌,  @kona ‌ has given you great guidance (thanks, Kona!). Many instructors have garnered helpful tips from this resource for designing modules in Canvas: Share UDL Course Design Tips, Tricks, and Techniques

Kona:

Thanks for responding. That was one part of Blackboard that I will miss. Fortunately, I will adapt!

Dr. Tom Mawhinney, Associate Professor

Touro College

(914) 388-2582 (M)

joel_duffin
Community Member

Atomic Curriculum Tools adds to Canvas the ability to nest modules and to easily create visual navigation of the hierarchy. Underneath it is still modules, but this adds a visual navigation layer on top of it that might help you regain the functionality you had in Blackboard.