cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindalee
Community Champion

New Gradebook Post Policies: Release comments without grades?

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

We turned on New Gradebook recently in advance of the start of fall semester, and encountered something unexpected with one of our pre-term courses (a high-profile intensive simulation-based course for our incoming MBA students) related to Post Policies.

Currently, all our fall courses have New Gradebook turned on, and a course grade posting policy set to "Manually Post Grades" to provide our faculty with much-desired "default mute" state.

In the past, the teaching team for this course has muted the assignment, entered feedback as assignment comments in SpeedGrader, and then released the comments by unmuting the assignment. The teaching team did not enter grades for the assignment because the grading scheme they used in feedback didn't readily replicate with Canvas's default grading options.

We learned the painful way yesterday that feedback couldn't be released separately from grades with a manual grade posting policy. The gradebook column options show "no grades to post" until grades are actually entered.

Changing the assignment grade posting policy from manual to automatic did not help -- the on-screen information indicates that previously hidden grades won't be shown.

(This issue didn't come up in our New Gradebook testing, in part because of a bug that was recently fixed that made assignment comments visible on the dashboard, even when grades were hidden.)

In the moment, we were able to persuade the teaching team to adjust the assignment settings and set a default grade so that grades could be posted. However, many of our faculty use this same approach -- entering feedback without necessarily entering a grade.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to release assignment comments entered in SpeedGrader all at the same time without first entering a grade for the assignment?

This issue doesn't seem to be addressed in any of the New Gradebook documentation and New Gradebook Resources:

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you can offer.

Best,

Linda

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sky - Well, that's a bit confusing for faculty. If grades are posted, then you'd hope the eye goes away. 

Any idea on why the Speedgrader comments where visible to the students if the grades weren't posted? Students apparently don't like getting feedback without a score Smiley Happy Perhaps this says more about what they are concerned about, but that's a philosophical conversation for another time. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lindalee , wow, I hadn't even thought of this scenario, but now that you bring it up, I can see what your faculty are wanting to do and why. I've tossed a few ideas around, but I can't seem to get around this issue either. 

Sorry! Kona

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

PS - I also just updated the Gradebook comparison page with this information and the new Grade Post Policy information. 

lindalee
Community Champion

Thanks for trying,  @kona ! If anything else occur to you, let me know. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks, I will definitely continue to mull this one over. 

lindalee
Community Champion

Update: I opened a support case to see if this is considered a bug and if there's any way to release comments without grades having been entered. The short answer is no.

Some additional detail about this case passed along by our CSM that confirms that behavior we are seeing appears to be intended functionality:

"If they first create it with manual and just comment without a grade it will be hidden from the student, even if they change it to automatic afterwards, which someone documented.

If they set it up as automatic originally they’ll be able to see the comments as soon as they’re made.

We do state that any grades previously entered before switching to automatic will remain hidden, so it’s expected that they can’t see them.

The gap I see is that we don’t allow to post without a grade being entered. I don't agree with it, but everything appears to be working as designed here."

I'll create a feature idea soon and link it here.

-Linda

Linda, what if they used complete/not complete? I know it's still a point value but a check mark might be better than a 0, if that's what they are using for a default grade.

Sky V.

sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

I have a faculty who changed their whole gradebook to manual.
Do they need to set their gradebook policy before creating any grades, or before publishing assignments to avoid this problem?

Right now they set theirs to manual, but the students can see their comments even when the grades aren't posted. I'm assuming this is a similar problem that you are having? 

Is it better to just set grading policy one assignment at a time till this is figured out? 

They also have the "hidden eye" appearing on in the gradebook even after they've posted the grades. 

322257_pastedImage_1.png

@sarah-canatsey ‌,

• The hidden eye means that the column is or was hidden (ie it was set to manual posting).
  • The red eye means grades have been entered but not posted.

One thing that we've been doing if the professor has posted grades for the whole class ... is to change that specific assignment back to automatic posting (so the confusing slashed eye is gone).

Sky V.

Sky - Well, that's a bit confusing for faculty. If grades are posted, then you'd hope the eye goes away. 

Any idea on why the Speedgrader comments where visible to the students if the grades weren't posted? Students apparently don't like getting feedback without a score Smiley Happy Perhaps this says more about what they are concerned about, but that's a philosophical conversation for another time. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos