Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricBenshetler

New Quizzes: Any plan to eliminate the 24 delay for Reports?

Jump to solution

I set a deadline for students to complete each Classic Quiz before the beginning of the class at which we review the answers using the Quiz Statistics display.  Many students, of course, wait until the last minute.  Also, sometimes I give an in-class quiz where we immediately review how the full class did on the questions.

Waiting up to 24 hours to be able to view the reports for New Quizzes is unacceptable for these scenarios.

Is there a plan to eliminate the delay soon?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @EricBenshetler 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the 24 hour delay for reports with New Quizzes. We understand you and others obviously want a faster outcome as you use these tools and features for grading purposes etc. Currently, there isn't an official date to expedite the process for the reports to be generated. We understand that there is a real need for a faster analytics report with New Quizzes, and currently it is part of the process for the Canvas Data 2 update. Ideally, we will have the reports coming within a 4 hour window although it is still being worked on by the developers. Canvas Data 2 has plans to shorten the latency of data, and we specifically outline improving analytics and creating quicker reporting for instructors within new quizzes here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Further-updates-on-Canvas-Data-2/ba-p/496504 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @EricBenshetler 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the 24 hour delay for reports with New Quizzes. We understand you and others obviously want a faster outcome as you use these tools and features for grading purposes etc. Currently, there isn't an official date to expedite the process for the reports to be generated. We understand that there is a real need for a faster analytics report with New Quizzes, and currently it is part of the process for the Canvas Data 2 update. Ideally, we will have the reports coming within a 4 hour window although it is still being worked on by the developers. Canvas Data 2 has plans to shorten the latency of data, and we specifically outline improving analytics and creating quicker reporting for instructors within new quizzes here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Further-updates-on-Canvas-Data-2/ba-p/496504 

From an instructor standpoint, this should be priority 1a for anything you're working on to update Canvas with. I am currently still waiting for my exam report to generate 46 hours after it was taken. We can sequence the human genome in just a few hours, and classic quizzes is able to provide data in realtime. I don't really see any excuse for why this has not been addressed yet.

If this is not addressed by the time the New Quizzes become mandatory in Canvas, I'll simply start providing my exams on paper and recommend to my institution that we should switch to a different LMS.

Thank you for the reply and the link to the CD2 blog entry.  Four hours would at least mean I could set a quiz deadline that's the same day that we'll review the answers.  The blog entry says the 4 hours is a "big improvement" compared to CD1 's 24 hours, which it certainly is, but it's still a big step back from the classic quiz functionality.  It still means that teachers will lose the current capability of giving and reviewing a quiz during the same class session.  

I hope that the development team gives improving this latency problem a high priority.