cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lori_campbell
Community Participant

New Tab Option in new RCE

Jump to solution

One of the options that has not seemed to make its way into the new RCE is the ability to open a link in a new tab. In the former RCE, you could highlight the linked content and use Command+K to choose the option to have the link open in a new tab. This has not transferred over that I can see. Is there a way to add that to new RCE?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi @lori_campbell !

According to what I remember and the information in the guide (last "Note" on the page, very bottom), hyperlinks are set to automatically open in a new browser tab. 

2021-02-10_11h26_06.pngI would say, if this is not what you are experiencing you will need to contact your school Canvas support or contact Canvas support.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi @lori_campbell !

According to what I remember and the information in the guide (last "Note" on the page, very bottom), hyperlinks are set to automatically open in a new browser tab. 

2021-02-10_11h26_06.pngI would say, if this is not what you are experiencing you will need to contact your school Canvas support or contact Canvas support.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

This is definitely not the case. In fact, links that were designed under the previous RCE are still not opening in new tabs where they once previously did. I understand this had to do with students opening files linked in pages and then not being able to find their way back to where they started. Losing this function actually exacerbates this situation rather than improves it. Please bring back the ctrl+alt+K function to allow this function. 

Tags (2)
lori_campbell
Community Participant

I have figured out the issue. If the link is an external link, a new tab opens. But if the link is within the course, no new tab is opened. However, the I only have students refer back to previous assignments while they are in the current assignment, or I will have them link to a course resource page to help them complete an assignment. Therefore, my students need the new tab option.