cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonesn16
Community Champion

New "To Do" option in Calendar

Jump to solution

I don't know how long its been there, but yesterday I noticed a new option in my Canvas Calendar, next to Assignment and Event. Its called "To Do," but I seem unable to actually create a To Do item. I click Submit, it appears to attempt to save... and then it stays on this window. I looked at Instructure's https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12911-415254669?sr=search&searchId=a690373d-eb01-4ad6-b3b4-...‌, but it doesn't seem to talk about this new thing. Or I'm on the crazy sauce. Anyone else see this option, and is it working for you?

screenshot of creating a To Do item from the Canvas Calendar

Tags (3)
1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Nicholas, 

This feature is available for students as part of our new List View Dashboard but is not yet available for instructors. You can learn all about the List View options here: Canvas Release: Student Dashboard List View. Instructors can use the functionality to add to-do items to their students' to-do lists. Our teams plan to watch the adaptation of the student role for this feature and then eventually create the functionality for instructors.

Hope that helps,

Erin

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jonesn16 ‌ - You will be relieved to know that you are not on the crazy sauce, as a few others of us have seen this, as well.  I just remembered seeing this the other day, when the ever-resourceful  @KristinL ‌ dug up the solution!  Here it is:  https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20745-to-do-in-calendar .

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! This topic resurfaced, and I'd like to connect the conversations.

item.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Nicholas, 

This feature is available for students as part of our new List View Dashboard but is not yet available for instructors. You can learn all about the List View options here: Canvas Release: Student Dashboard List View. Instructors can use the functionality to add to-do items to their students' to-do lists. Our teams plan to watch the adaptation of the student role for this feature and then eventually create the functionality for instructors.

Hope that helps,

Erin

molse

I love this idea, but it is frustrating that non-graded items do not appear on students' "to-do" lists. I have reading assignments that must be completed but are not assigned points and students are not seeing them on their to-do list tab on the Canvas app. Is there a way to add non-graded assignments to the "to-do?"

0 Kudos

Hi  @molse ‌ - If you take a look at the Canvas Release Notes (2018-08-04)‌ and then scroll down to the To-Do List feature,  you'll see a segment for Instructors. You'll be able to add non-graded assignments, surveys, pages, and discussions to your students' lists.

Your second link doesn't work for me and when I scroll on the first link, I am only seeing info about the to-do list from the student perspective. Can you clarify?

0 Kudos

My apologies! 

Canvas Release: Student Dashboard List View 

Here's the part I'd like to highlight for you:

Instructor Functionality

Pages and Non-Graded Discussions

Instructors can set pages and non-graded discussions to display in the Dashboard List view.

When creating a page or non-graded discussion, instructors can select an option to add the item to the student’s Dashboard List view. This option allows instructors to help students remember to read a course page or participate in a non-graded discussion by a specific date.

List View Pages and Discussions Options

Instructors can select the to-do date and time for the page or non-graded discussion to display in the list. If an item is differentiated by student, section, or group, the item only displays in the To Do list for students who have been assigned the item.

These options are only available for pages and discussions at the course level and are not available within pages and discussions for individual groups. Instructor cannot customize non-graded items on a per-student basis.

molse

Thanks! I saw that linked at a separate place, but it doesn't solve the problem. I have created multiple non-graded assignments (i.e. read this chapter in the textbook, it is worth 0 points, but there may be an in-class writing/quiz over what you've read), but there doesn't appear to be any way to add things other than graded assignments, pages, or discussions to the to-do list. This changes the work-flow for my course and my students. If reading assignments don't show up in their to-do list, that's a problem. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @molse 

What I have already started doing in my own courses to take advantage of this great new functionality, is to simply create a new page in my modules titled "Reading Assignments - Module XXXX", then add that page to the students' To-Do lists.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

boles
Community Member

At the start of the semester, when creating a calendar event in a course, I used that new option to create a "My To Do" item for the *Instructor* (not students) that was specific to that course, and became part of that course's calendar events, as distinct from my personal Canvas calendar. 

This is not available anymore. The event I created is still there, but I can't create any more of these.

WHY THIS SHOULD BE RESTORED
I found it VERY useful because I use it to remind me to do certain tasks at certain times, like create a collaboration at a point in the semester after I have consolidated groups (whose members have thus changed), which I could not do earlier in the semester.  Moreover, because the event resided *in that course* calendar, not my personal calendar, it would import it each semester for that specific course and it would keep my personal calendar from getting cluttered up.  I assume that the event showed only for me since that was it's title designation.  But even if students saw it, no problem. 

0 Kudos
boles
Community Member

At the start of the semester, when creating a calendar event in a course, I used that new option to create a "My To Do" item for the *Instructor* (not students) that was specific to that course, and became part of that course's calendar events, as distinct from my personal Canvas calendar. 

This is not available anymore. The event I created is still there, but I can't create any more of these.

WHY THIS SHOULD BE RESTORED
I found it VERY useful because I use it to remind me to do certain tasks at certain times, like create a collaboration at a point in the semester after I have consolidated groups (whose members have thus changed), which I could not do earlier in the semester.  Moreover, because the event resided *in that course* calendar, not my personal calendar, I assume it would import it each semester for that specific course and this would keep my personal calendar from getting cluttered up.  (I assume that the event showed only for me since that was it's title designation.  But even if students saw it, no problem.)

PLEASE RESTORE FEATURE

0 Kudos
boles
Community Member

Yeehaw!  The feature is now working and available again at my institution.   😊

0 Kudos