New to Canvas - Elementary - Template Update Questions

Jump to solution
mterborg
Community Member

Good day, 

I hope this isn't a repeat question.. I'm relatively new to Canvas and  I'm just learning about a new template that our district is mandating us to use. I know I can go to Commons and grab the template and update my site but what happens when I do?

Does it update everything and over write everything with the new content? Does it leave the main document area with the old content? Is it a mix? 

I'm hesitant to do this through an automatic process as I've put in a significant amount of time here. It's not that I don't want to update (I have to) it's that I'm concerned with how much more work I'll have to do after the update goes through. I'll likely duplicate my beta site and try it out on one site before I update everything. 

Thank you for your assistance.e

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @mterborg ...

One option for you...which you've sort of hinted at already...is to try this out on your own in your school's "test" environment.  This is an environment that is separate from your school's Canvas "production" environment which you sign in to on a daily basis.  In the "test" environment, you can do as much testing of things as you want, and you're not going to disturb anything in the "production" environment.  Here are a couple Guides for you that might help:

Another option might be to use a "sandbox" course in your "production" environment...where you have a course to play around with anything you want...putting content in there...then importing content from Commons to see what happens.

Do you think either of these options might help?  Keep us posted here in the Community.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

@mterborg ...

If your school is using a paid Canvas environment (not a Free-for-Teachers environment ... canvas.instructure.com), then you would have access to a "test" environment.  As described in the second link I had provided you, your "test" environment URL might look something like this:

• SchoolName.test.instructure.com

Whereas your school's normal "production" environment looks something like this:

• SchoolName.instructure.com

I know you didn't ask about this, but you also would have a "beta" environment where you can test out the new features and enhancements that Instructure pushes out each month...before they get moved to "production".  That URL is:

View solution in original post

0 Likes