Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt5834
Community Participant

No Option to add a Rubric to an Assignment

Jump to solution

I'm hosting my own instance of Canvas.

For some reason I do not have an option to add a Rubric to an Assignment.

Am I missing something?

Thank you!

Matt

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
travis_thurston
Community Champion

matt5834

In the Canvas Guides​, you will find the guide, "How do I add a Rubric to an Assignment?​" As described in the guide, you should see the rubric button at the bottom of the assignment once it has been created. If you're in Edit mode, then you won't see it. You will be able to add it after the assignment has been created.

Hopefully that helps. If hosting your own instance creates a different view, please post a screen shot image like the one below so I can see what you're viewing.

rubric.png

View solution in original post

15 Replies
travis_thurston
Community Champion

matt5834

In the Canvas Guides​, you will find the guide, "How do I add a Rubric to an Assignment?​" As described in the guide, you should see the rubric button at the bottom of the assignment once it has been created. If you're in Edit mode, then you won't see it. You will be able to add it after the assignment has been created.

Hopefully that helps. If hosting your own instance creates a different view, please post a screen shot image like the one below so I can see what you're viewing.

rubric.png

View solution in original post

matt5834
Community Participant

Thanks Travis-

I see the Add Rubric option when I've created a regular assignment but it does not display when the assignment uses my Noteflight LTI integration. Do you happen to know if I can add a Rubric to an assignment that uses an External Tool like Noteflight?

Thank you

matt

That's interesting, I don't know for sure. I'm not too versed on using Noteflight, but my initial response would be that rubrics must be attached to Canvas specific assignments and that you wouldn't be able to attach it to one created through an LTI.

Could you have some clarity on this topic  @Renee_Carney ​?

Yes  @travis_thurston ​ and matt5834​ I'll see if I can find an answer on this.

matt5834

Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing?

I *think* (at that's a big "think") that you can actually add a rubric even if you are using an external LTI tool.  You'd first have to build the rubric like you would any other regular assignment (making sure to save the rubric).  Then, just modify your assignment settings to use the External Tool (LTI tool) instead.  I believe that when it comes time to grading, you would still be able to view the rubric via the SpeedGrader.  If memory serves, this worked for me when I was testing things out with the Turnitin LTI tool.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Yes,  @chofer ​, your theory seems to work. I just did some testing with the VoiceThread LTI (hi Liz!). It was a little glitchy, but here's what seems to work:

1. Create an assignment in Canvas and set the submission type to "No Submission" (or, really anything except "External Tool").
  2. Add/create a rubric as you normally would.
  3. Edit the Canvas assignment and change the submission type to "External Tool".

At this point, a glitch appeared, and the assignment appeared to link to another VT external tool assignment in the same course, however, when I left the assignment page and went back to the full assignments list of the course and then clicked back into the targeted assignment, I was able to:

1. Configure the external tool settings for the assignment.

Then, when I was able to frolic through SpeedGrader, with the external tool submissions on the left in the content pane and my snazzy rubric on the right. Life was grand.

snugent
Community Champion

I learned something new. The glitch I see with TurnItIn assignments is that the Canvas rubric never displays to students but is available in the SpeedGrader for instructors.  Canvas even pulls a text extraction of the paper from the TurnItIn submission box to display in the SpeedGrader. Sweet!

SethBattis
Community Contributor

snugent​, yes, that is true: students can't see the rubric.

I'm in the process of hacking together a work-around for our teachers for that. The high-level version is: the teacher can cache the rubric from their view (after step 2 above), and then I can use a JavaScript snippet to bring that cached rubric back into the student view when they visit that assignment. I'm in the midst of "hooking up all the wires" but I think it's going to work for our purposes.