Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leonardo_mancil
Community Member

Not authorized to send an Inbox message to a course section

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas community,

My team and I received a request earlier that a TA just brought on board to the course was unable to send Inbox messages to the student in his section. When trying to send a message the TA mentions he cannot send the message as there is a warning that says "user not authorized to perform that action" (see attached screenshot)

Has anybody else experienced this issue in the past?

Cheers,

Leo

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@leonardo_mancil , a couple of things to check into...

1. Is the course published and currently available to students?

2. Is another TA assigned to these sections of students?

3. Check the permissions for the role the TA was added to the class with. Does someone with this role have permissions to message students?

If none of this pans out, you might want to go ahead and contact Canvas Support and see if they can help!

Kona

View solution in original post

tayc
Community Member

Hello, I came across this thread because I was just experiencing the issue addressed here. I am a TA in a course and I was unable to reply to a student message in my canvas inbox, even though I had never had this issue before. I even replied to a different student only a couple hours ago. I realized that I was viewing the course in "student view" in another tab (that I opened after the tab with my inbox open), and this was preventing me from replying to my student's message. Once I clicked "leave student view" I was able to reply. Hope this helps!

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@leonardo_mancil , a couple of things to check into...

1. Is the course published and currently available to students?

2. Is another TA assigned to these sections of students?

3. Check the permissions for the role the TA was added to the class with. Does someone with this role have permissions to message students?

If none of this pans out, you might want to go ahead and contact Canvas Support and see if they can help!

Kona

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

@kona ‌ -- Just wanted to give you a shout-out for your work in the community.  I had a question today concerning an inbox error. I searched Inbox Error and got this post - which gave me a troubleshooting starter list -- and allowed me to solve the problem.  You are a rock star.  We are lucky to be able to learn from your seemingly limitless knowledge of Canvas. Thank you

@nancy_lachance , thank you for the feedback!! I'm glad the trouble-shooting list was able to help you figure out the problem! 🙂

Kona

ezarubin
Community Member

My class is published; I am still getting this error when trying to message students.

JayRozema
Community Member

I just had a faculty member get this same response. Still looking for answers. If anyone has found something new, I would appreciate knowing.

tayc
Community Member

Hello, I came across this thread because I was just experiencing the issue addressed here. I am a TA in a course and I was unable to reply to a student message in my canvas inbox, even though I had never had this issue before. I even replied to a different student only a couple hours ago. I realized that I was viewing the course in "student view" in another tab (that I opened after the tab with my inbox open), and this was preventing me from replying to my student's message. Once I clicked "leave student view" I was able to reply. Hope this helps!