Observer cannot sign up without pairing code (FFT)

Jump to solution
MsTia
Community Participant

Haven't run into this before. Happy FFT (Free for Teachers) user for six years.

Observer says she has not had a Canvas account before, and that she keeps being asked for a pairing code to sign up as a parent. She can't proceed without one.

I can't generate pairing codes as an FFT Instructor. Option does not show on menu, so THIS does not apply: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-generate-a-pairing-code-for-an-observer...

Usually, parents just follow links from my invitation email and make their way into my courses just fine, where they find that I've already linked them to their student, using "Link to Students" on the course roster/users page. Honestly, I don't quite know what that process looks like for them, so I'm less that super-helpful just now.

Observer has sent me a screenshot of Parent Signup form. 5th field down, under "Re-enter Password" and above check box for "You agree. . . " is a Student Pairing Code field that demands filling. Pic below.

Student has visited my course successfully.

Problem: I need to get mom into course as Observer.

Tentative hypothesis: perhaps something odd about student account may be at play? They've changed first name since joining via my Student invitation. The name does not show up the same way in different places (e.g. Gradebook, Speedgrader, Inbox, Access Report don't show the same student name for this student). Maybe relevant. Maybe not.

Here's the form that has stymied Mom. Advice?

Observer needs pairing code.jpg

Need community help 'cuz our valiant Canvas staffers are SWAMPED.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MsTia
Community Participant

Blush. That was fast. One solution I suggested worked. Mom had student generate a pairing code. It worked.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-generate-a-pairing-code-for-an-observer-as...

Ah, well. Maybe this'll help someone else. Still no idea why they ran into this.

View solution in original post