cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
e_m_kiley
Community Member

On a group assignment, default grade is given to students whose groupmates have submitted?

Jump to solution

After an assignment's deadline but before grading, I use the "set default grade" option in the Gradebook to give zeros for missing assignments.

I recently discovered that when doing this for group assignments, a zero grade will be assigned to any individual who hasn't submitted on their group's behalf--even if someone else in their group has submitted.

Understandably, this typically makes all but one member of each group very nervous, and I find myself fielding e-mails to reassure students that I received their partner's submission.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with the "set default grade" function, used for group assignments?

Is there a way of automatically assigning zeros between the due date and whenever I start grading, without unjustly assigning zeros to all but the submitter for each group?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@e_m_kiley , I don't believe Canvas has this type of logic built into their "set default grade" functionality. I think the only way to do this before grading would be manually. If you want to double-check this further or to question the functionality of Canvas you could put in a Canvas Support ticket - click the Help ticket and Report a Problem. 

Kona

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@e_m_kiley , I don't believe Canvas has this type of logic built into their "set default grade" functionality. I think the only way to do this before grading would be manually. If you want to double-check this further or to question the functionality of Canvas you could put in a Canvas Support ticket - click the Help ticket and Report a Problem. 

Kona

View solution in original post