cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george_massingh
Community Member

On the Grades page, how are courses sorted? And can I change it, or hide courses?

Jump to solution

Several courses I've completed still appear on the Grades page, probably because they haven't been disabled by the course instructor or Canvas administrators. But there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the order these courses are displayed in. It's not alphabetical, by grade, by term, or by recent activity. Is there a way to sort them? Or, like in the Courses dropdown, hide some of them?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@george_massingh ​,

This question is becoming popular. Something almost identical was asked Nov 16 and I provided a response here: Re: Reordering the list of courses on Grades Tab

The short answer is that the order appears random (many things in Canvas are returned in the order given by the database), you can't easily change it, but that there is something you might be able to do about completed courses showing up by checking the dates on the terms.

I don't know if the term thing helped or not because the original question poster hasn't responded back.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pete1
Community Contributor

I'm not sure when you say courses if you mean modules or assignments? In gradebook assignments are ordered as they appear in the assignment group (as you can see below)

(assignment group)

assignment group.jpg

(grade book)

gradebook.jpg

This can be reordered by clicking the gear icon (in gradebook view) and selecting your option (by due date i believe)

James
Community Champion

@george_massingh ​,

This question is becoming popular. Something almost identical was asked Nov 16 and I provided a response here: Re: Reordering the list of courses on Grades Tab

The short answer is that the order appears random (many things in Canvas are returned in the order given by the database), you can't easily change it, but that there is something you might be able to do about completed courses showing up by checking the dates on the terms.

I don't know if the term thing helped or not because the original question poster hasn't responded back.

View solution in original post

That's what I figured, that it was just returned in database order.

Unfortunately I'm a student, so I can't look at course terms. And I don't know my way around the Canvas code, nor do I really know how to read Ruby/Rails, so looking at the source doesn't really help me any.

Is there a way I can put in a feature request? I don't think these discussions get seen.

@george_massingh ​, these discussions absolutely get seen! Smiley Happy

Yet, this is the area where you post questions or ask for help with Canvas, not where people vote on and discuss possible new features in Canvas. If you'd like to recommend a standard sort order or the ability to sort the Grades page then I'd recommend submitting a Canvas Feature Idea.

Just to add to what Kona already provided, you might also want to review How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Thanks,

SD