cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary-sokolow
Community Participant

One message to students in multiple course sections

Is Canvas going to develop a feature whereby instructors can write one message and send it to students in more than one Canvas course section at a time?  It appears that such a feature has been added to the "annoucements" tool!  It would be helpful, for instance for teachers, when they are cancelling classes for the day, to write a message to students and send it out to all students in all canvas course sections that they teach, all at once.  

8 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @gary-sokolow .  This has come up several times, and an idea related to the functionality you describe is currently in product radar and has received a good deal of support.  While on product radar, you can still vote for and comment on the idea.  I voted this up because I feel it would be a good addition to the Inbox in Canvas.  You may be interested in voting it up as well and reading both the comments on the page and the update from Instructure.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4717-email-multiple-classes-at-one-time 

Best wishes!

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

This lack of cross-course functionality is a general problem in Canvas, both in terms of courses being taught at the same time by the same instructor, and also the same course taught by the same instructor over multiple terms. That's something that came up in a long (LONG) comment I just wrote re: the announcement that we are not going to have any content search after all (it's part of the Project Khaki update). 

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2018/03/23/khaki-2018-update#comment-114210 

I'm guessing there are lots of ways, big and small, that the lack of cross-course functionality is frustrating for faculty. I use a giant spreadsheet with all my students across all three of my classes exactly because I cannot get a unified roster for messaging purposes.

As always, I don't mind using other tools because I prefer a real spreadsheet (formulas, filters, colorcoding, etc.) to the Canvas tool, but for other faculty, it is very frustrating.

This is bigger than just email; I can imagine there are all kinds cross-course data access issues that would be worth implementing, although I am not sure how hard/easy that it is given the way that courses are treated as truly separate entities in Canvas.

Thanks for that link, ericwerth‌!

Maybe with the new platform it will be possible to have some organizational dimension to the feature requests. I'll admit that I don't pass as much attention to the feature requests (in large part because those discussions are destined for Cold Storage), but if the feature requests area were organized by different categories / stages of voting, I would pay more attention I think! Right now, I mostly rely on helpful people like you connecting up feature requests to the questions and discussions areas. 🙂

I'm happy to pass along feature request when I find them laurakgibbs!  It can be easy to miss something, particularly because we don't all refer to the same feature using the same language (email, messages, Inbox, Conversations, etc.).  Use of tags really helps, but I do appreciate the convenience in some of the feature development groups that pull ideas together such as here, New Gradebook Users Group.

Yes, exactly! And as they think about migrating to the next platform, there will be some great lessons learned here that hopefully will help make for a good re-start. 🙂

Hi, laurakgibbs‌! You don't have to wait for the new platform: in https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=28753b36-324b-4bee-9022-9ab7e5215..., ideas are currently organized by stages, and the ideas are abundantly tagged. The Canvas Studio home page displays the five stage buttons on the right, so if you're interested in seeing the ideas that are in the In Development stage, for example, click on that button to see the list. If you're interested in a particular feature, you can also follow a tag. This document shows filtering by tag, and once you've done that, you can grab the feed for that tag: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1329 

Thanks, stefaniesanders‌! What would help me as a user is not just "open for vote" but something more specific:

newly opened for voting

open for voting

voting about to close

... I would definitely try to read the "voting about to close" for sure, and then "newly opened" if I had time!

And I know it is probably just me and my eccentric use of Canvas, but none of the development priorities overlap with my interests (although I always find interesting things to read here at the Community when I browse around).

The lack of a topic area related to content development reinforces my concerns about the deferment of global search from the Khaki list and the serious need we have for more conversations about content development issues here... we're not even ready for feature requests yet; we need to find out just what people are doing with content really, and what they would like to do / expect to do. 🙂

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gary-sokolow ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie