Open or change a closed grading period

Jump to solution
daniel1_mcdowel
Community Member

In my canvas course, not created by me, I've published some assignments and get this message 'Some settings have been disabled because the assignment is in a closed grading period'. I need to change the due date of the assignment but cannot, I am also unable to grade the assignment.  How can I correct this, to make this assignment current and allow me to make edits?  

3 Solutions
djackson
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @daniel1_mcdowel ‌,

Thank you for submitting your question! As per, How do I view grading periods in a course?grades in a closed grading period cannot be edited. This is by design, as editing assignments or changing grades on those assignments would damage the integrity of the grades for that grading period. Your best course of action would be to reach out to the local Canvas admin for your district who manages grading period dates to find out whether or how they will permit changes to activities in a closed grading period.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Danielle

View solution in original post

0 Likes

We instructed our teachers to copy their first term courses into their second term shells and then basically reuse the content. Will the assignment grading periods be locked to the previous grading period? If yet, what is a better plan for teachers who receive new course shells when the semester rolls over?

PeggyYancey
Community Member

I clicked "duplicate" on a test in new quizzes from a previous grading period in order to make a duplicate so I could assign it to a student currently.  I see the 'Some settings have been disabled because the assignment is in a closed grading period' message in blue, so therefore I cannot make edits.  Shouldn't I be able to do this on a duplicate, so I won't have to build the whole test again?  All I want to do is change the "assign to", the availibity dates, and the due date, so that this student can take the test.  Can you help?