Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete1
Community Contributor

Page / file / rubric upload replacing

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas Community!

I have a question that has bugged me for some time now, I am sure it is my error in uploading, but I am unable to find a fix.

When I upload from our template course (and now from commons), I am always confronted with a pesky "....-2" as you can see below.

Functional tools snag.jpg

I then go through manually, delete the old page / assignment / file, and have to rename the "...-2"

I would greatly appreciate if someone can enlighten me on my uploading errors!

Pete

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @pete1 , this happens when Canvas detects there is already an item of the same name as one you are importing. It's kind of like how on Windows if you download a file named syllabus.docx twice, the second one is  syllabus(1).docx. Since you are importing from a template and/or Canvas Commons, you should start with a course empty of the items you plan to import. Also, once you've started out with an object from Commons, if you import the same content into your course again, it just replaces it. The beauty of Commons is that if you were the one to originally upload those items to Commons, and you've imported them into a course and made changes, you can easily update the item in commons with your latest changes. How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @pete1 , this happens when Canvas detects there is already an item of the same name as one you are importing. It's kind of like how on Windows if you download a file named syllabus.docx twice, the second one is  syllabus(1).docx. Since you are importing from a template and/or Canvas Commons, you should start with a course empty of the items you plan to import. Also, once you've started out with an object from Commons, if you import the same content into your course again, it just replaces it. The beauty of Commons is that if you were the one to originally upload those items to Commons, and you've imported them into a course and made changes, you can easily update the item in commons with your latest changes. How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons?

pete1
Community Contributor

Hi awilliams

We ideally start with a empty shell and import, which is great.. however there seem to always be changes (that then need to be pushed across our multiple courses).

I thought Commons may have been my savior there. I am still very green with commons, but when I made changes, updated to commons, then pushed from commons to live I had the same issue with the numbering. I am currently the only one who utilises commons so i'm not sure, if again, i've gone about the import incorrectly.

Thank you for your reply though Adam, I thought I may have just missed a radio button or something awkward...

pete1
Community Contributor

Just to update incase anyone comes across this post. I now use commons for all of our modules, there no longer seems to be issues with numbering pages. I'm sure there is a reason for this, but it is beyond my programming scope!

On a side note, it would be great if you could share assignments to commons, but I gather this would be a bit too complex.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @pete1 ​...

Actually, you can share assignments to Canvas Commons.  Have a look at this Canvas Commons Guide: How do I share a resource to Commons?

Hope this helps!

pete1
Community Contributor

Hi  @chofer ,

Sorry I did not explain myself very well. As you are able to share a module (our modules only have pages). However you are unable to share a "module" of assessments (picture below)

assignments.jpg

So at present, if a new course is created I first need to go through canvas settings -> import etc and import all of the assignments, and then use commons to import the pages in. It is an awful lot quicker than how I used to import modules.. I am just thinking how fantastic it would be if I could link assignments AND pages module together on commons.
Thanks for pointing that out though Chris

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@pete1 ​...

I think I see where your error is.  The page you have included in your response is the "Assignments" page where you have organized your assignments for your students in an Assignment Group.  The "Assignments" page does not allow you to share "Assignment Groups" to Canvas Commons.  However, I just tested this in my own sandbox course, and if you create a brand new module over on your "Modules" page and include those assignments in the "Module", you'll be able to share that "Module" to Canvas Commons.

ShareModulesToCommons.jpg

So, you could also include content pages, Discussion topics, etc. to a module in your course, and then you can use the "Share to Commons" link that is provided.  Does that help?

pete1
Community Contributor

Chris,
I love your work, that will work a treat! Thank you!