Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarkbra
Community Participant

Pages- adding assignment links; links missing

Jump to solution

Hello,

I wanted to create a study guide for an exam by creating a page and adding links to assignments students should review.   The Insert Content column includes a tab for assignments and has several assignments in it that I can create links to.  But the assignments I need to create links to are not showing up in that list.   Do you know how to make them show up in the list?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clarkbra
Community Participant

The problem was escallated to tech and the answer was discovered.  The list is limited to 150 assignments.  I created daily participation assignments  (Did you attend and participate in class?).  Each of those began with a number.  Hence, the only assignments that appeared in the assignment list on the Page Insert Comment section were the participation assignments and nothing else.   They said that their engineers have been working on how to increase the list number beyond 150 items and that they should have a solution soon; just not yet.   In the meanwhile, I am just going to edit the names of the assignments I need to put in the list so that they each start with a number, then they should appear in the list.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clarkbra ​, in the past the only time assignments didn't show up for me is if I didn't have them published so that's what I'd check first. Next I'd check to see if any of these are ungraded quizzes/surveys/discussions/assignments - as far as I can tell those don't show up in the Assignment lint. If none of these are the issue, then could you provide more information about the type of assignments and if there seems to be anything special about them compared to your other assignments?

clarkbra
Community Participant

I've had the same thing too, where I discovered that the assignments needed to be opened in order to add links to them.  The assignments are and were open at the time I tried to add the links.   The assignments I am trying to add to the page are mostly online text assignments and a few quizzes.   The only assignments showing up to be added are ones imported from another course.  None of the assignments I created on this course are appearing in the list.   I went to the assignments page and dragged some of the assignments into the imported category to see if that would cause them to show up.  No luck Smiley Sad  Any other suggestions?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are you sure the assignments are published? Not the date being open, but the cloud (at the end of the assignment name on your Assignment page) is green? Could you take a screen shot of your assignment page (or part of it) and indicate which assignments aren't showing up?

clarkbra
Community Participant

Two of the ones I was trying to add are circled in blue in this image.

140614_pastedImage_0.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clarkbra ​, this is definitely a strange one! At this point it seems like the best thing to do is contact Canvas Support if they can look further into the issue. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas (top right) and then "Report a Problem."

clarkbra
Community Participant

New information...I checked one of my other courses (for adding assignment links to the page).  The other course had the imported assignments (all of which start with a number)  AND it had other assignments that start with a number. So maybe this isn't an issue related to assignments, but is instead related to alpha/numeric organization.  Only the assignments that start with numbers are appearing in my choices.   Assignments that start with A-Z are missing from the list.   Any thoughts/tips on how to fix that issue?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clarkbra , do you have an unusually large number of assignments in your course? In all honesty though, this sounds like a bug and if you haven't already, definitely submit a ticket to Canvas Support. 

clarkbra
Community Participant

I submitted a ticket at the same time that I submitted my original post on here, but I don't think our tickets get sent to Canvas tech, they get sent to a representative in our county.  I'm supposed to talk with her at 3:00, but she hasn't received as many details regarding it as I have mentioned on here.  My guess is she is going to make the suggestion to make sure that the assignments are open, which they are.  I believe her job is more of a how to tech advisor rather than a can you fix this bug type of tech person.  That is why I'm still posting on here in case she doesn't have a different answer.   I'm hoping someone know how to make all of the assignments show.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@clarkbra ​, thanks for the extra information! At our Institution when an Instructor submits a Help Ticket it initially goes to my office (Online Learning/Canvas Support)  where we review the problem/issue and initially works with the Instructor (via email/phone) to figure out the problem. If we can't figure out the problem then we escalates the ticket to online "Canvas" Support. I hope the technical person at your Institution can help, but if not, encourage the person to escalate your ticket to Canvas Support. They are a huge help and normally pretty quick to respond! Smiley Happy