cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmcinerney
Community Participant

Parent App is showing missing assignments even though the assignments are graded or turned in.

I have seen a few threads on this issue but the last post I saw about this was 10 months ago. Is there any update? We have a lot of parents very concerned why their child has a missing assignment in Canvas even though the child says they turned it in.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

With Canvas Parent, the items which are documented best are those submitted digitally. Activities submitted in the classroom (on paper or no submission) may be tagged differently in the gradebook until grades are entered by the teacher. Even then, Teachers may need to manually remove the "Missing" or "Late" tags.

Even with the above disclaimer, I just checked a "no submission" assignment.

The student did not have to submit anything, and yet the teacher provided a score. In Canvas Student, it's marked as "graded". In Canvas Teacher, it's marked as "missing" (which is confusing to me because it's clearly not missing if I graded it), but in Canvas Parent, it's marked clearly with a grade and a SUBMITTED label at the top.

I'll keep investigating. If anyone learns anything, please share so we're all prepared. Smiley Happy

tina_christophe
Community Participant

Our parents are inquiring about this too.

Here is a paragraph from a parent

It appears that even though the assignments were submitted and received, if they were not graded before the due date, the outgoing message to me was that they were missing. If you find this to be true, is it possible to change the message to the parents that the assignment was "submitted" or "graded" and not "missing"?

Is there a resolution to this - the parent is receiving an email notification with this data.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mmcinerney ...

Checking in with you because I see that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since September 17, 2019.  Have you have the opportunity to review the feedback from  @klundstrum  and  @tina_christophe ?  Did either of them help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to one of their responses.  But, if you are still looking for some help, please post a note below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" (How we keep your questions flowing!‌) because there hasn't been new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Mary.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

rebpacwilliams
Community Member

I have had a parent ask this question...do assignments that show not summited on the parent canvas app update in live time?   Does anyone know how to answer this?

I have had issues like those noted by klundstrum above these past two weeks.