cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
f5098c8e76d7c2c
Community Participant

Parent observer unable to see course announcements

Jump to solution

I have had a parent bring it to my attention that he is unable to see the announcements for his daughter's courses.  When I have masqueraded as the user, and as other users, it has confirmed that parental observers cannot see course announcements. 

Is there something I can change in the observer account permissions that would allow a parent to see course announcements?  Has anyone else noticed this issue?  When I have looked up information about what parents "should" be able to see, the lists I have found include announcements.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
f5098c8e76d7c2c
Community Participant

To follow up - I have determined that this issue stems from the fact that when I disabled the ability to view discussions in observer permissions, announcements were included in that.  I have since created this idea to try to see if Canvas can splice apart announcements and discussions in the permissions settings, so that a teacher could enable one, but not the other. 

Vote here to support the idea -

View solution in original post

16 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

f5098c8e76d7c2c7d17160987716a92d171a4c57b7ea2caf08b13d5bca2d5ac5, my Institution doesn't use parent observers so I can't help answer your question. Yet, there are some awesome folks over in the K-12​ Community group that might be able to help and I'm going to share this post with them!

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Did the Parent observer account get pre-created by your Canvas team, or did the parent manually create the account using the regular process from login screen?  We have parent observers via the manual process at login screen and we can see announcements just fine.  I heard from another canvas customer that they too were not able to get announcements, however they pre-created the accounts for the parents.  On the permissions side, b4 I allowed parent accounts, I removed the 1 single course-level permission to view discussions (for FERPA reasons).  So far so good, they get announcements, but can't see discussions.

Hi Jason,

Our parents created the accounts manually at the login screen.  Could you send me a screen shot/list of what permissions your observers are actually granted?  We disabled discussions for view as well.

Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jjordan1 ​, not sure if you saw this follow-up question or not, but "Could you share a screen shot/list of what permissions your observers are actually granted?" Thanks for your help!

f5098c8e76d7c2c
Community Participant

To follow up - I have determined that this issue stems from the fact that when I disabled the ability to view discussions in observer permissions, announcements were included in that.  I have since created this idea to try to see if Canvas can splice apart announcements and discussions in the permissions settings, so that a teacher could enable one, but not the other. 

Vote here to support the idea -

View solution in original post

f5098c8e76d7c2c7d17160987716a92d171a4c57b7ea2caf08b13d5bca2d5ac5​, thanks so much for taking the time to update this discussion with your discovery, and for providing the link to the new feature idea!

Beth,  I am very sorry about not replying, this slipped by in my load of inbox emails.  Our Observer Account role has No permissions.  All are X'd out/disabled.  As a Parent of 3 kids here, my email is private and this account is an Observer account.  I do get emails whenever a Teacher sends announcements, lots of them.  Here are some pictures:

The Course my daughter is in (Announcements View):

Canvas_Announcement01.png

My personal GMAIL inbox:

Canvas_Announcement_Email01.png

Canvas_Announcement_Email02.png

I just replied to your post from last week.  We do not have the problem, so it may be instance-based.  Did you file a support ticket yet?  I would based on this and please feel free to reference our instance, if they want to speak with us or look at our setup on the backend ( xcp.instructure.com )

@jjordan1 , please help me with this point of clarification. Are you saying that observers (in a role with all permissions X'd out) are only receiving notifications of announcements? The fact that you've provided a screenshot of the announcement view in the course itself is what's confusing me, because if I understood f5098c8e76d7c2c7d17160987716a92d171a4c57b7ea2caf08b13d5bca2d5ac5​ correctly, her original question was about observers being able to navigate to and view the announcements themselves in the observed course(s).

So here's the part that needs clarification: Can an observer with no permissions still view the announcement in the course, or were you able to provide that screenshot because you also have admin privileges at your daughter's school? Thanks!