Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sschwagerl
Community Member

Parent question

Jump to solution

Parent question to me.

I am an administrative assistant who has to answer parent questions regarding Canvas.  Keep in mind, I don't have any children who use Canvas, therefore I do not know how it works and am unable to access the information that a parent may see.  This parent was looking at Canvas to check her students courses, she was wondering if there was a way to see what hour the course is?  

2nd question - please let me know of additional aids that I may use to help guide parents through Canvas, this is new to me and very overwhelming.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @sschwagerl  and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

With your first question, unfortunately being able to see when a student takes the particular course depends on your district. Schools may use a Student Information System (SIS) to create courses...and sometimes that would mean that the name of the course in the SIS ID would include the section or hour number. For a Canvas Administrator, this would be seen in this guide: How do I set details for a course?, but for students and observers, it's not as easy. My suggestion would be for the observer‌ to sit down with their student or students and then rename courses on their dashboard in a way that would show the hour number (ie: 1 - Spanish II, 2 - Geography, 3 - Photo, etc.) These labels would be unique to the observer and would not affect the student's experience in Canvas.

The best guides for observers would be:

I recently blogged about the observer role and Canvas Parent; I think you may find the links and the comments helpful! A Letter To Canvas Observers

Please reply if you have any other questions! The Canvas Community is an awesome and collaborative group!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @sschwagerl  and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

With your first question, unfortunately being able to see when a student takes the particular course depends on your district. Schools may use a Student Information System (SIS) to create courses...and sometimes that would mean that the name of the course in the SIS ID would include the section or hour number. For a Canvas Administrator, this would be seen in this guide: How do I set details for a course?, but for students and observers, it's not as easy. My suggestion would be for the observer‌ to sit down with their student or students and then rename courses on their dashboard in a way that would show the hour number (ie: 1 - Spanish II, 2 - Geography, 3 - Photo, etc.) These labels would be unique to the observer and would not affect the student's experience in Canvas.

The best guides for observers would be:

I recently blogged about the observer role and Canvas Parent; I think you may find the links and the comments helpful! A Letter To Canvas Observers

Please reply if you have any other questions! The Canvas Community is an awesome and collaborative group!

View solution in original post