Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerstin_jarosc1
Community Participant

Password protected courses?

Jump to solution

Hello,

maybe I searched with the wrong search terms or I didn't search long or deep enough, so apologies if there is already a topic for that (or if it's just a very simple setting in Canvas) ... 

Is there any way to protect/restrict a course with a password?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best wishes

Kerstin

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kerstin_jarosc1  

No, this is not possible in Canvas, but I am not sure why one would need this.

The only users who can access a Canvas course are users who are enrolled in the course in whatever role.  Users have already authenticated their right to be in Canvas by using their login credentials.

If a teacher wishes to keep students out until a specific date, they can unpublish (or not publish) their course, then publish it when they are ready.  Learn more at How do I publish a course? You can also control the availability of a course through date settings. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12900-415257087?sr=search&searchId=35f8907d-7684-45b6-b946-... 

Also, faculty has the ability to restrict access to course content by various means. Learn more at.........

So you, as a teacher, have considerable, if not absolute, access control unless otherwise determined by your school.

Otherwise, one of the more beautiful purposes of an online course is that it is available to learners 24/7.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

betsy_walker
Community Participant

Very welcome Rex.

Do be aware that the person's experience is quite limited. They cannot interact with the interface at all. They can see Assignments, but cannot submit. They cannot see Discussions or Announcements at all. If this is something you actually plan to use, it would be wise to slam the doors and kick the tires a lot. Have someone act as a visitor. Or set up a fake yahoo or other account for yourself to go in and test it. You must be sure that your browser doesn't recognize you as your instructional self.

If you have an actual class that you would like alums to visit, you might like to create a sandbox version of the course with the same contents so that you don't do this in the real course. It would be very limiting to your actual enrolled students and could cause some very real problems for them.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kerstin_jarosc1  

No, this is not possible in Canvas, but I am not sure why one would need this.

The only users who can access a Canvas course are users who are enrolled in the course in whatever role.  Users have already authenticated their right to be in Canvas by using their login credentials.

If a teacher wishes to keep students out until a specific date, they can unpublish (or not publish) their course, then publish it when they are ready.  Learn more at How do I publish a course? You can also control the availability of a course through date settings. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12900-415257087?sr=search&searchId=35f8907d-7684-45b6-b946-... 

Also, faculty has the ability to restrict access to course content by various means. Learn more at.........

So you, as a teacher, have considerable, if not absolute, access control unless otherwise determined by your school.

Otherwise, one of the more beautiful purposes of an online course is that it is available to learners 24/7.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

kerstin_jarosc1
Community Participant

Hi Kelley,

thanks for your reply and all of the suggestions!

Best wishes

Kerstin

This would be needed if the course access is set to "Public". For instance in a Continuing Education course where participants are often member of the general public and not registered as actual students in the college.

betsy_walker
Community Participant

Yes, it is actually possible. I have figured out a way to do this for Public courses where potential participants do not have accounts.

You need to set up an entry that leads immediately to a survey that requires an access code. Once the code is entered, the user sees the "survey" whose only question has nothing more than a link to the course's first content page. From there all the actual course content is linked. For this to work, however, there can be nothing visible in the Navigation menu aside from the "Home" page which was used for the entry leading to the survey.

In this manner, participants who do not have actual accounts can be invited. Public access is quite limited, though. It does not allow interaction. Visitors can only view content, not actually do anything.

rexj
Community Participant

@betsy_walker Can you please explain these steps in further detail?

We are coming from Moodle and use the guest access with password (enrollment key) to allow alums access to resources. We don't want them to have an account or need to log in, but we don't necessarily want the site open on the web.

Thanks.

betsy_walker
Community Participant

1: Create a survey in your course that requires an access code. This is managed in the survey settings and can only be done in a Classic quiz, not a New Quiz.

2: Give the survey just one question. That question has nothing in it but a link to your first content page.

3: Create an entry page. (I do not consider this actual content.) Set it as your Home page. Include a brief welcome statement followed by a link to your survey.

• Send the URL to your entry page and the access code to all the potential visitors.
  • They'll follow the URL and then they'll:
    • Click the link on the welcome page
    • Enter the access code to the survey
    • Click the link in the survey to your first content page

They'll be in.

You cannot have anything in the navigation menu other than the Home page. If there's anything else there, you have no password protection and you've wasted your time.

rexj
Community Participant

Thank you @betsy_walker !

That makes more sense to me.

betsy_walker
Community Participant

Very welcome Rex.

Do be aware that the person's experience is quite limited. They cannot interact with the interface at all. They can see Assignments, but cannot submit. They cannot see Discussions or Announcements at all. If this is something you actually plan to use, it would be wise to slam the doors and kick the tires a lot. Have someone act as a visitor. Or set up a fake yahoo or other account for yourself to go in and test it. You must be sure that your browser doesn't recognize you as your instructional self.

If you have an actual class that you would like alums to visit, you might like to create a sandbox version of the course with the same contents so that you don't do this in the real course. It would be very limiting to your actual enrolled students and could cause some very real problems for them.

0 Kudos
rexj
Community Participant

Thank you again, @betsy_walker .

As this relies on Classic Quiz I can see why I will want to frequently test. Hopefully New quiz will integrate the passcode function.