PearDeck vs NearPod

Jump to solution
MBlackwell_GCA
Community Participant

My school is interested in using either PearDeck or NearPod. In researching which would be better for teachers and students, I thought the Canvas Community could share some insight on pros and cons. 

Our school serves students in K-12th grades. We are completely online - a public charter school where students and teachers attend class online. Our online classroom is Jigsaw Interactive and our LMS is primarily Canvas. Traditionally, our teachers will create a lesson plan via PowerPoint or Google Slides, upload this into Jigsaw interactive to present and work with students. These lessons will include media such as music and video. Teachers also create lessons with the intent to have interaction such as matching, drag and drop, etc. 

9 Solutions
shellysmith
Community Participant

Hi Michelle,

I can only speak about Nearpod since my teachers use Nearpod.  We have the premium version for 30 users at my high school. We have the College & Career, EL, and Digital Citizenship added to the subscription.  We also have the Flocabulary subscription that easily integrates with Nearpod and Canvas.  I love the interactive content that Nearpod has, the ease of use in and out of Canvas, the seamless integration into Canvas, and the vast amount of resources that Nearpod has available.  I hope that helps a little.

Thanks.

Shelly

View solution in original post

alopez
Community Explorer

If your teachers are using Google Slides, I would use Pear Deck because any slide can be made interactive since it is now a Google Slides add-on. If you use GAFE, your teachers can publish "takeaways", which creates a Google Doc for each student co-owned by the teacher and student that they can then go back and revisit and add reflections.  

I wonder if teachers have tried embedding these Pear Deck slides into Canvas? Does it embed and if so, is it still interactive?

0 Likes
chillman
Community Participant

There are pros and cons to each of these.  Pear Deck works really well with Google Slides with the interactive elements, but is limited in the amount of interactions.  Nearpod has a lot more options for interactives, such as VR and adjusting lessons on the fly without re-syncing during a presentation.  Nearpod also works really well in the integration with Canvas.  

Just my two cents.

0 Likes
emilyl
Community Novice

Hi! Actually Nearpod also added a feature that has a Google Slides Integration:) 

akendall
Community Novice

My district just required all teachers to use Canvas as their platform and I was  already using Google slides with Peardeck add ons for all learning presentations.  Can anyone help me figure out how to embed my Google slides into Canvas while also allowing students to use the pear deck add on so it is interactive?  

0 Likes

As far as I know, there is no integration with Canvas when using Peardeck.

If you want a better alternative, Nearpod also has a Google Slides integration BUT has a fantastic integration that includes grade book passback in the Speedgrader! Smiley Happy Here's a guide of videos that can help with that integration! NCT 103 (Canvas and Nearpod) on Vimeo 

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy 

Nearpod also has a Google Slides integration (plus like you mentioned- advanced interactivities ;-)) ! Smiley Happy Nearpod + Google Slides Add On 

0 Likes