cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gncrum
Community Contributor

Peer Review and Group Assignments

Jump to solution

Does anyone one know how the Peer Review function works for groups and group assignments? Specifically, when the instructor uses the automatic assignment of reviewers option?

Say I have group 1, group 2, group 3 and group 4 and I want all members of the same group to review one other group.  How does this work since the peer reviews are  are still assigned  by "people" and not by groups?  Does each person in a reviewing group see the same group (single) submission and still give feedback to an individual user of that group?

#confused  :smileyshocked:

Greg

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ewoo
Community Member

I am having the same difficulty. I would like each group to provide peer reviews to the people within their group. Right now it appears that I must do this manually which takes quite a bit of time. Is there anyway to automatically assign peer reviews within each group?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

@ewoo , there is a way to automatically assign peer reviews within each group, it's just not built into Canvas. There's a userscript that you add to your browser that will automatically do it for you: Assigning Intra-Group Peer Reviews‌ 

The issue of assigning groups to groups isn't handled by that, but someone may be able to take the source code and use it as a starting point to accomplish that.

8 Replies
James
Community Champion

@gncrum ,

To help answer this question, I had to go back to my Spring 2017 course where I had group projects. I did this in our beta instance of Canvas, so that it didn't change the actual course material:How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor? 

If you automatically assign 1 peer review without checking the box to allow intra-group peer reviews, then you get something like this table. Hopefully it will show how things are distributed.

AssignedAlligatorBuffaloElephantGiraffeKangarooLionPandaTigerWolfZebraTotal
Alligator11114
Buffalo111115
Elephant11114
Giraffe11114
Kangaroo1225
Lion11114
Panda11114
Tiger1214
Wolf1124
Zebra11114
Total454454444442

The rows represent the group of the person who is being assigned the peer review and the column is the group of the person that they were assigned. The number in the intersection represents the number of people from the row group who were assigned someone in the column group. No one was assigned a peer review from their own group because I did not check the box to allow intra-group peer reviews. No one received two reviews, every name was assigned one review and everyone received one review.

One group cannot be assigned to another group, the assignment is on an individual basis. They are randomly distributed among the different groups (other than themselves). If you want everyone to group A to review group B, then you'll need to manually assign the peer reviews.

Feedback left as a submission comment can be viewed only by the person who was designated in the assignment process, not by their entire group. However, comments left on the document in the Canvas DocViewer are visible to the entire group. I'm not sure about rubrics, but I think they were only visible to the person who received the feedback, not to the entire group. Canvas is not allowing me to save a rubric as a student right now, so I can't verify that portion of it.

My requirements were a little bit different. I have two sections combined into a single section. I haven't done peer reviews since Spring 2015, but when I did, I wanted the afternoon section to review the papers for the morning section and the morning section to review the papers from the afternoon section. Then, when it came time to do the presentations, they hadn't already read what the teams were going to present. Since the afternoon groups were sometimes using the same topics, it gave them an opportunity to see what the other section was doing and get ideas. Canvas absolutely does not support my needs here.

I wrote a program that would go through the list of the groups and the people and would randomly assign reviews to people to make sure that each person received 3 people to review and that the people they were reviewing were all from different groups so that you never reviewed the same paper twice. I also tried to balance out the reviews so that each team received roughly the same number of reviews rather than each person receiving the same number of reviews. My reasoning is that a person who worked alone should receive as much feedback as a group who had four students in it. I also tried to balance the number of people who received the feedback instead of having it all go to a single person. That way, it avoided the issue of having an unreliable group member who received all the feedback (that's also why I think the rubrics were just visible to the person who was listed as the recipient of the peer review).

That program then spit out a list of every student and the names of the three students that they were supposed to review. I went into the peer reviews and manually assigned them according to the Canvas Guide How do I manually assign peer reviews for an assignment? 

I had another more in-depth analysis of what happens when you try to assign 3 reviews to confirm my suspicions from 2015, but Canvas says it can take up to an hour to assign the peer reviews and I clicked on the peer reviews before it was done and thought it left some people out. I wrote my entire analysis based on that, just to find out I was too quick to analyze. Hopefully this much is enough to answer your question. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gncrum ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

kmatson
Community Participant

Canvas,

We really need to be able to do a peer review within a group or outside of groups.

When I say we would like to do a peer review within groups that means that we are using the tool to let group members evaluate each other. Why can't we do this? When the  "Allow intra-group peer reviews"  is checked Canvas still randomly assigns peer reviews so I am wondering why this box exists or why it doesn't work. Out of nine students across three groups when checking the "Allow intra-group peer reviews"  one (1) student was within the group. This is not better than random. So please explain to me how this button is working, or not.

When I say we would like to do a peer review across groups we mean that we would like group 1 to evaluate group 2. This doesn't work either, again it is random and the groups have to be done manually so when you have 30 plus students it doesn't work and I don't know why groups aren't in there since it was a group assignment to begin with. I know I am asking for a lot and now mixing oranges and apples but if we could get any functionality for large classes this would be helpful.

I am happy to share screen shots with more details if this is not enough. We need two things here. The ability to do a peer review within a group - intra. Secondly we need groups to be able to review groups. Would like to get either one of these two functionalities to work.

My work around for the first one is that there are only about 40 students so he can do it manually since the auto feature doesn't work.

My current work around for the second one is to not make it a group assignment. We are making a discussion board so everyone in the class can view the replies and the groups can then evaluate other groups.

Thank you Canvas engineers,

Karen Matson

mikeg
Community Participant

I am in a similar situation, I use team based learning and need to have students evaluate his/her other teammates' contribution to assignments.  I'd previously been using the CATME.org site to do the evaluations, but was hoping that I could do it natively w/in Canvas. 

The idea of having to assign evaluation partners to each of a 140 students by hand sounds like a nightmare.  CATME allows me to upload a .csv file which assigns individuals to teams.

Team based learning is not a novel or radical approach.  I am disappointed to see that Canvas does not seem to support the use of this approach.

ewoo
Community Member

I am having the same difficulty. I would like each group to provide peer reviews to the people within their group. Right now it appears that I must do this manually which takes quite a bit of time. Is there anyway to automatically assign peer reviews within each group?

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

@ewoo , there is a way to automatically assign peer reviews within each group, it's just not built into Canvas. There's a userscript that you add to your browser that will automatically do it for you: Assigning Intra-Group Peer Reviews‌ 

The issue of assigning groups to groups isn't handled by that, but someone may be able to take the source code and use it as a starting point to accomplish that.

ewoo
Community Member

Thank you for your help James!

willmoin
Community Participant

James above says: "Feedback left as a submission comment can be viewed only by the person who was designated in the assignment process, not by their entire group. However, comments left on the document in the Canvas DocViewer are visible to the entire group"

What we are seeing with having Peer Review on a Group Assignment, is that feedback left by all peer reviewers on a single group submission is collated and presented back to all students of the same group. In addition reviewers can see the named feedback of other reviewers (even when anonymous peer review is used). 

Group 1

Student A - automatically gets assigned C to peer review

Student B - automatically gets assigned D to peer review

Group 2

Student C - automatically gets assigned B to peer review

Student D - automatically gets assigned A to peer review

So Student A's work is expected to be peer reviewed by Student D only

But actually feedback is left on Student A's work by both peer reviewers C and D, (C thinks they are peer reviewing B's work - but it's actually the same paper, and Canvas collates the feedback so feedback from C and D is visible to Student A, and is also in face visible to the tutor and students A,B,C and D

My head hurts!