cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bachusak

Peer Review as % of Assignment Grade

Jump to solution

I am creating a peer review assignment. I have created a rubric for students to use when reviewing others.  I want the peer review to count only as a portion of the final assignment grade. For example, I will grade each assignment and my grade will be worth 75% of the final grade. The peer review grade will be worth 25%.  

If I set up this assignment as a peer review, will I, as the instructor, also be able to complete a grading rubric for each student? What is the best way to go about this? 

2 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi bachusak Welcome to the Canvas Community. The problem with that method is that in order for students to successfully complete a peer review with a rubric, be aware that the peer reviewers must also complete that same rubric in order for the assignment to be complete.  (This is covered in the blue area at the very top of this online lesson: How do I create a peer review assignment? )  This is assuming that you are using Canvas' built-in rubric function, where you (and the peer reviewers) will see the rubric.  Having within that same rubric ratings for the quality of the peer review, therefore, would likely be rather confusing to students since that would be part of the rubric that they would see.

What I always recommend to faculty at my own institution is to create yet another, separate assignment to grade the peer reviews themselves with its own, separate rubric. This will make things a bit more clear for the students and for you in the long run.  

I hope this makes sense and that it helps a bit, Amanda.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your quick response James!  
I believe my confusion on the speed grade was that I was doing peer reviews for discussion groups instead of a submitted assignment.  With a discussion group,  I had everything visible to me from speed grader including the peer reviews.   If I create a separate assignment/rubric for the peer reviews, I would have to split screens in order to open up the original assignment to view what I am grading,  correct?
If that's the case,  it's still doable, just a little more circuitous.  
Diana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi bachusak Welcome to the Canvas Community. The problem with that method is that in order for students to successfully complete a peer review with a rubric, be aware that the peer reviewers must also complete that same rubric in order for the assignment to be complete.  (This is covered in the blue area at the very top of this online lesson: How do I create a peer review assignment? )  This is assuming that you are using Canvas' built-in rubric function, where you (and the peer reviewers) will see the rubric.  Having within that same rubric ratings for the quality of the peer review, therefore, would likely be rather confusing to students since that would be part of the rubric that they would see.

What I always recommend to faculty at my own institution is to create yet another, separate assignment to grade the peer reviews themselves with its own, separate rubric. This will make things a bit more clear for the students and for you in the long run.  

I hope this makes sense and that it helps a bit, Amanda.

Ken,

I have wondered how to do this.  If I make a separate assignment to grade the peer reviews, this cannot then be graded in speed grader, correct?  If I am understanding this correctly, the original discussion and peer review comments would be all in a different assignment so I would have to bring up the original assignment and then use the separate rubric on a different screen for my own manual grading.  Am I interpreting this right?

Diana

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

@diana_deever 

Both assignments can be graded in SpeedGrader. They don't have to be as they could be graded directly from the gradebook, but SpeedGrader is about making grading faster so there are benefits to using it for certain assignments.

What I do is make the rubric for students to fill out be associated to the original assignment so that they can look at the submission while filling out the rubric. You could grade the original document with SpeedGrader but without using the rubric. As the instructor, I may not complete the rubric here may not be the things I wanted the students to focus on. That means that the students are getting a grade without a teacher-filled rubric (just the peer review rubrics). I might even make this complete/incomplete for the grade for a rough draft of a paper.

The separate assignment contains the rubric I want to use for grading. I typically make this the grade for the peer review (how well did you complete the peer review process), although it could be used for different purposes. I can use SpeedGrader to open up this assignment and complete the rubric. 

Thank you for your quick response James!  
I believe my confusion on the speed grade was that I was doing peer reviews for discussion groups instead of a submitted assignment.  With a discussion group,  I had everything visible to me from speed grader including the peer reviews.   If I create a separate assignment/rubric for the peer reviews, I would have to split screens in order to open up the original assignment to view what I am grading,  correct?
If that's the case,  it's still doable, just a little more circuitous.  
Diana
0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

Depending on what you want to accomplish, the easiest way is to open SpeedGrader in two browser windows, one for each assignment. This is what I did when I was using peer reviews.

Actually, I wrote a script that downloaded all of the comments left by the students for the other students and put it into an HTML document, sorted by the reviewer rather than the reviewee, so I could see how much each person wrote. I don't know where I put that code, but it was helpful at the time.

If you want to stick to something internal to Canvas, then two SpeedGrader windows side-by-side is the way to go. Having dual monitors helps immensely.

scheydec
Community Member

I'm not sure this answers the question as I read it, and as our faculty want to use it. We want to have Peer Review as % of the original submitter's Assignment Grade.

How can the reviewer's score on a paper be included in the final grade on that paper? In other words, not evaluating the peer review, but averaging several different reviews of a paper (or even just one, submitted by one student).

Is there a way to do that within Canvas, without a custom LTI?

Thanks!
Elizabeth 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

No solution here, just a comment that I really like this idea so if you figure out how to do it, can you post it?

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

@scheydec 

Peer reviews cannot automatically be assigned as another student's grade. I imagine that most people do not feel that student evaluations should not factor directly into the grade for another student, so Canvas doesn't support it.

One way to accomplish this is to create a separate assignment for the peer review score, manually compute their scores, and then enter it into Canvas.

When I say manually, I actually use a spreadsheet to do the calculations. I mean manual in the sense that Canvas will not automatically do it.