Peer Review as % of Assignment Grade

Jump to solution
bachusak
Community Novice

I am creating a peer review assignment. I have created a rubric for students to use when reviewing others.  I want the peer review to count only as a portion of the final assignment grade. For example, I will grade each assignment and my grade will be worth 75% of the final grade. The peer review grade will be worth 25%.  

If I set up this assignment as a peer review, will I, as the instructor, also be able to complete a grading rubric for each student? What is the best way to go about this? 

2 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi bachusak Welcome to the Canvas Community. The problem with that method is that in order for students to successfully complete a peer review with a rubric, be aware that the peer reviewers must also complete that same rubric in order for the assignment to be complete.  (This is covered in the blue area at the very top of this online lesson: How do I create a peer review assignment? )  This is assuming that you are using Canvas' built-in rubric function, where you (and the peer reviewers) will see the rubric.  Having within that same rubric ratings for the quality of the peer review, therefore, would likely be rather confusing to students since that would be part of the rubric that they would see.

What I always recommend to faculty at my own institution is to create yet another, separate assignment to grade the peer reviews themselves with its own, separate rubric. This will make things a bit more clear for the students and for you in the long run.  

I hope this makes sense and that it helps a bit, Amanda.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your quick response James!  
I believe my confusion on the speed grade was that I was doing peer reviews for discussion groups instead of a submitted assignment.  With a discussion group,  I had everything visible to me from speed grader including the peer reviews.   If I create a separate assignment/rubric for the peer reviews, I would have to split screens in order to open up the original assignment to view what I am grading,  correct?
If that's the case,  it's still doable, just a little more circuitous.  
Diana

View solution in original post

0 Likes