Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsvoboda

Peer review of Group Assignment by Group not Individual

If I have a group assignment, and want peer reviews included, can I manually or otherwise assign an individual student a specific group to review, rather than a specific individual student? 

Tags (1)
7 Replies
barish_golland

This is actually a big problem for us. When you have a group assignment, then select Peer Reviews, and don't select "Intra-group peer review", then try to auto-assign peer reviews, the system will randomly assign students to assess other individual students who are not in their group, but Canvas doesn't factor in that this is a group submission, so it will essentially assign students to duplicate submissions to review - it won't randomize based on group submission, but by individual. So we have to manually go in and re-assign students to peer review non-duplicate submissions.

lars_vemund_sol
Community Member

Hi,

You might want to take a look at this Idea and give it your support if this is what you was looking for: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4789 

Lars

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @tsvoboda ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on September 5, 2018.  I see that  @barish_golland  and  @lars_vemund_sol  replied to you in December.  Have you had an opportunity to review their responses?  If so, did either of their replies help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this question?  If you feel that Barish or Lars has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark one of their responses as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this topic to post a message letting Community members know how we might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since December 19, 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Tori.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanks for following back up. This remains unanswered.  I'm trying to find out how to assign an individual student the obligation of reviewing a specific group...not an individual member of their own group or another group, but a specific group.

Thanks for the offer, but that's not what I'm after.  I'd like to assign an individual student the chance to review another group's submission...not have them review individuals within their own group (which is also a good idea, but not what I'm after).

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I am trying to set up the same thing and having trouble

rhackett1

I want to SECOND what was said above by Barish_Golland:

This is actually a big problem for us. When you have a group assignment, then select Peer Reviews, and don't select "Intra-group peer review", then try to auto-assign peer reviews, the system will randomly assign students to assess other individual students who are not in their group, but Canvas doesn't factor in that this is a group submission, so it will essentially assign students to duplicate submissions to review - it won't randomize based on group submission, but by individual. So we have to manually go in and re-assign students to peer review non-duplicate submissions.

I do not want nor need the "intra-group" option.  If someone from Canvas would like to contact me I would be happy to take the time to explain what it is I need for Canvas to do.  This is actually a very important problem to work on.  The solution would be of tremendous value to the students and ease instructor burden, especially for large classes.

RHackett@Pacific.Edu