Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltalon
Community Member

+ People button greyed out

Jump to solution

Hi Canvas Community-

I have an instructor who didn't confirm his roster until the end of a course.  One of his students was never enrolled in the course and the student's grades can't be posted if he's not in the course.  I tried to add him and the + People button is greyed out in the course.  I tried extending the date of the course, but that didn't make a difference.  Does anyone know how I can add this kid so his grades can be posted?

Thanks-

Laura Talon

Ex'pression College

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
canvas_admin
Community Champion

You can change the term and I have done that before, but changing the term affects all courses in the term. If you're only wanting to edit one course, I would check the checkbox so that the course dates override the term dates (and make sure the section dates checkbox isn't checked or it will override the course dates). 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
snugent
Community Champion

Check the section dates. See this guide for more info.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

@ltalon ​

In the course settings, did you check the box under the dates to make sure it overrode any term settings?  If not, then you could have term dates overriding the course dates so no matter what you do with the course dates, it would have no effect.

Here's a handy guide that can explain the hierarchy of dates between terms, courses, and sections: What is the relationship between SIS, term dates, course dates, and section dates?

Hi Mark-

If I temporarily change the term, will that allow me to add the student?  If so, will it affect the grades that are already put in?  If I can change the term to next term, add the student, then change it back to the current term, that might solve my problem.

Thanks!

Laura

canvas_admin
Community Champion

You can change the term and I have done that before, but changing the term affects all courses in the term. If you're only wanting to edit one course, I would check the checkbox so that the course dates override the term dates (and make sure the section dates checkbox isn't checked or it will override the course dates). 

View solution in original post

Excellent!  I think we got it sorted then.  I appreciate the help!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Wonderful!   Glad to help. Smiley Happy