cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a1224143
Community Member

Playing interactive PowerPoint presentations in Canvas

Jump to solution

We are trying to see if PowerPoint packaged as ppsx files can be embedded in Canvas. Microsoft Office Mix was the previous solution but Microsoft is closing this down on 1 May 2018.

I tried the Microsoft Office LTI but it did not seem to work. The best I have been able to do is allow the file to be downloaded from Canvas then opened using the PowerPoint application to open and play.

I would be interested to see if anyone has found the Microsoft Office LTI to work with PowerPoint files - and ones that has quizzes built in?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for responding Robbie. Would collaborations also normally require Office to be installed on the end user's computer.

Downloading the file may be OK but I have found that the PowerPoint packaged as ppsx files only seem to "play" if Microsoft Office is installed on the end user PC.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@a1224143 ,

My experience is that the students will need to download the PowerPoint file.  The Office LTI is designed to share files with a course, but the students would still need to download the file, unless you are using it in Collaborations.

Robbie

Thanks for responding Robbie. Would collaborations also normally require Office to be installed on the end user's computer.

Downloading the file may be OK but I have found that the PowerPoint packaged as ppsx files only seem to "play" if Microsoft Office is installed on the end user PC.

a1224143
Community Member

We have just done some more testing on this and found that PowerPoint presentations can be nicely embedded by saving the PowerPoint file in OneDrive. Accessing this via the OneDrive site allows you to get an embed code that can be pasted into Canvas. The PowerPoint (pptx or ppsx) seems to have all of its interactivity working and available in Canvas whether in the browser or the mobile App.

What is nice is that the learner (end user) does not seem to need PowerPoint installed to get the full interactive experience with audio, animations and button actions. The OneDrive file-folder does need to be set as share to general public.