cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmarkert
Community Member

Point value on quizzes

Jump to solution

Is there a way to assign equal point value to all questions on a quiz? I modified a quiz by adding 15 questions. It seems the only way to change the point value is to go back and manually edit each question - unless there is a shortcut that I am missing.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@lmarkert , to give each question the appropriate (same) number of points, you could create a question group, drag the 15 new questions into the question group, and then assign the point value in the question group rather than editing each individual question. Set the question group to pick 15 questions, so it will present all of them. The side effect of this is that those questions will then be randomized on the quiz. You'll find instructions in How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions?

Speaking more generally, if you want all of the questions in a quiz to have the same point value, when you're creating the quiz, put all of the questions in a question group and work from there. I like to give all of my quizzes a point value of 100 so that the score mimics a percentage in my students' gradebooks.

Please know that I'm providing a workaround rather than a solution. If the questions have to appear in a specific order, or if you need question groups set up for a different reason, this isn't going to work for you, and you will then have to manually edit the points for each question. I'd encourage you to follow the ongoing discussion at Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ to keep on top of the progress in Canvas's massive quiz refactor project.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@lmarkert , to give each question the appropriate (same) number of points, you could create a question group, drag the 15 new questions into the question group, and then assign the point value in the question group rather than editing each individual question. Set the question group to pick 15 questions, so it will present all of them. The side effect of this is that those questions will then be randomized on the quiz. You'll find instructions in How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions?

Speaking more generally, if you want all of the questions in a quiz to have the same point value, when you're creating the quiz, put all of the questions in a question group and work from there. I like to give all of my quizzes a point value of 100 so that the score mimics a percentage in my students' gradebooks.

Please know that I'm providing a workaround rather than a solution. If the questions have to appear in a specific order, or if you need question groups set up for a different reason, this isn't going to work for you, and you will then have to manually edit the points for each question. I'd encourage you to follow the ongoing discussion at Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ to keep on top of the progress in Canvas's massive quiz refactor project.

View solution in original post