cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Pop up Dialog Box with Access Code

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a developer. I'm working with the code from this page on a pop up dialog box. I'd like to know if there is code for the same feature, but when you click on the dialog box, you need to type in a password to see the content. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @am_jagusztyn  

I also am not a coder, and I don't even play one on TV; but I do dabble a bit with HTML coding in Canvas.

The easy answer to this one is a resounding "NO"! This is because Canvas will strip out most executable code that you try to enter.

What are you trying to do? Perhaps we can help you find an easy work-round.

Kelley

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Thank you for your reply. The same as those wanting Module access to specific groups, sections or students and in differentiated pages - we're finding challenges when having different sections within the same course. Overall, it makes life easier for the teacher, but when the sections are on different days, have assessments at different time, there's no way (that I know of) to hide content from a particular group of students. If it were taken as a quiz, the access code would solve the issue, but I've informed the instructors to keep the questions / directions off the assignment itself and only show it to the students the day of. Of course as the content is the same, neither of these prevents students in one section informing students of the content who take it later. Any other forums where someone has found luck in hiding content?

Hello  @am_jagusztyn ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your response to  @kmeeusen ‌ on December 7, 2019.  I am not sure I really have much to share in the way of an answer, but we set up our course shells differently than you do (this is a bit of an assumption on my part).  From what I'm reading of your response to Kelley, it sounds like one course can have multiple sections in it...and your students are assigned to various sections within that one course.  At our school, if we have two similar courses:

• Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office (103-159-12345)
  • Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office (103-159-12346)

...instead of creating one course shell with both of these sections, we create two separate course shells for each course.  Each course has a unique Course ID number in the URL.  And, the students from course 12345 never interact with the students from course 12346.

I'm not sure if your school does anything similar, but it may be something to consider...as it may help with the issues you're experiencing.

Finally, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not seen any new activity in this topic for almost five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Ariel.  And, if you feel that Kelley's feedback has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Thanks,  @chofer . I appreciate you following up on this. I think in general, when instructors want to have all their sections within on course for ease, there are also drawbacks for this. I think creating visibility rights in Canvas would be a good idea for students based on section or even certain students. Just as we use the assign to function, could this be used for visibility. I will have to check the feature ideas.