cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgibson1
Community Champion

Portfolio Question

We have a student (actually, two students) with artifacts in their portfolio that when the faculty tries to open them (artifacts) she is getting an access denied. I'm stumped.

315826_Portfolio.png

6 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi rgibson1 - It depends on what the link is leading to.  If the student is embedding an assignment from a previously-taught course, you may have the issue of it being a concluded course or otherwise closed course site.  There is information at the very top of this page from the student guide:  How do I retrieve assignments from previous courses in my ePortfolio as a student? :

Note: Users without access to a concluded course may not be able to access Assignments in your ePortfolio from that course. Links to deleted courses will not remain active.

The student may very well have to move the assignment to his/her personal files instead, as covered here: How do I upload a file or image to my ePortfolio page as a student? 

If that does not turn out to be the issue, my next suggestion is to have the student simply make the ePortfolio public:  How do I make my ePortfolio public as a student?, though I'm fairly sure that the same issue will occur in the case of a concluded course site.

I hope this helps a bit, Rob!

rgibson1
Community Champion

That was it. Content was living in another course folder. Thanks Ken!

rgibson1
Community Champion

So, I guess I'm not out of the woods yet. It likely was a concluded course. The students can access their files form that former course - even download them. But then how do they 'migrate' them forward to the current course' eportfolio?

rgibson1
Community Champion

Replying to myself. I figured out that the portfolios are tied to a course. If the course access closes, so does the ability to share the portfolio. (Instructure should seriously considering removing that portfolio product.) The only way to migrate content forward is to create an entirely new portfolio > download the artifacts > re-upload them back into the new portfolio. (Boy, if you want to kill any enthusiasm for using portfolios, there's your ticket.)

kblack
Community Champion

Hi Rob - Unfortunately, I believe the only way is to either move them from that course folder into their own files (check out How do I move and organize files as a student? ) OR (since they can download them) download them first, and then re-upload them somewhere in their own user files (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10565-421241989 ) and then re-create the link in their ePortfolios.

I'm not 100% positive, I admit, about being able to move it from a concluded course to their own files via their interface. But the fact they can download them indicates that they can at least then upload ithem to a more public area.

kblack
Community Champion

Looks like you replied just when I did, Rob!  Ha!  I do not think Instructure will likely be making changes to their ePortfolio until the remaining dust settles from their acquisition of Portfolium.  (Check out https://www.instructure.com/news/public-relations/instructure-enters-agreement-acquire-student-succe...  )