cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmjorge
Community Member

Possible for two due dates for one discussion?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to have two due dates for a discussion?  One for the initial post and the final due date for the end of the discussion period?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @cmjorge  and welcome to the Canvas Community!

This type of question has been asked a number of times and unfortunately, there is no way to have the two due dates. The good news is that this functionality is on the product radar. Read about it and vote it up at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions#comment-18...  

I can see two different ways to deal with this depending on how you want to grade. If there are two separate grades, one for the initial post and one for the follow up posts, you could create the discussion for the initial post and a separate assignment for the other posts. Another option is to use a rubric and assign points for the initial reply by a given date and then assign additional points for the other responses. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @cmjorge  and welcome to the Canvas Community!

This type of question has been asked a number of times and unfortunately, there is no way to have the two due dates. The good news is that this functionality is on the product radar. Read about it and vote it up at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions#comment-18...  

I can see two different ways to deal with this depending on how you want to grade. If there are two separate grades, one for the initial post and one for the follow up posts, you could create the discussion for the initial post and a separate assignment for the other posts. Another option is to use a rubric and assign points for the initial reply by a given date and then assign additional points for the other responses. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

ErinMoon
Community Member

I am writing to follow-up on the thread and find out if it is now possible to add 2 due dates.  It would be very helpful for me!