cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cblakesl

Preview questions within the Question Bank?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to preview quiz questions within a Question Bank (as the user will encounter them), within the Question Bank itself? Faculty have the desire to test questions within the question bank before adding the questions to quizzes. The goal is to avoid duplicated work down the road.

2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@cblakesl ‌, as long as the question bank contains fewer than 50 questions, the instructor can preview the questions, using the guidance in How do I create a question bank in a course? For question banks that contain more than 50 questions, consider adding feedback to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1196-raise-the-50-question-question-editpreview-cap-for-questi... , currently in Product Radar status.

And please keep an eye on the progress of our massive quiz refactor project, Priority: Quizzes.Next‌.

View solution in original post

Hi Robbie,

Wasn't able to comment on the website....but if I had been able to, I would say: the query was answered, but the problem remains.

There needs to be a much easier means for previewing both the questions in a Question Bank, and for testing out questions (i.e., 'using' them as the student will use them) from within the Question Bank.

I spent HOURS (I mean - in the range of 40-50 hours) creating a 150 question test over the summer. Most of those hours were spent importing questions from the bank into a quiz; taking the quiz to see how the questions were working; returning to the question bank to edit/change the question; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat.

It would have been SO MUCH EASIER if I could have 'previewed' ALL of the questions within the question bank and ALSO TEST DRIVEN them.

Thanks

WA

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@cblakesl ‌, as long as the question bank contains fewer than 50 questions, the instructor can preview the questions, using the guidance in How do I create a question bank in a course? For question banks that contain more than 50 questions, consider adding feedback to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1196-raise-the-50-question-question-editpreview-cap-for-questi... , currently in Product Radar status.

And please keep an eye on the progress of our massive quiz refactor project, Priority: Quizzes.Next‌.

It's helpful to know this, but disappointing. We have a question bank with 150 questions, and no easy way to preview/edit the questions. Why put a limit on the # of questions that can show details in the first place?

0 Kudos
Hailstorm
Community Participant

Unless I'm doing something incorrectly, your response DOES NOTt solve the problem.  The document referenced in your response DOES NOT allow a question to be previewed.  Previewed means to be able to test the question in the format in which it will appear to students.  I have been unable to execute this critical step in creating quiz questions.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cblakesl ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Wasn't able to comment on the website....but if I had been able to, I would say: the query was answered, but the problem remains.

There needs to be a much easier means for previewing both the questions in a Question Bank, and for testing out questions (i.e., 'using' them as the student will use them) from within the Question Bank.

I spent HOURS (I mean - in the range of 40-50 hours) creating a 150 question test over the summer. Most of those hours were spent importing questions from the bank into a quiz; taking the quiz to see how the questions were working; returning to the question bank to edit/change the question; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat.

It would have been SO MUCH EASIER if I could have 'previewed' ALL of the questions within the question bank and ALSO TEST DRIVEN them.

Thanks

WA

garichard
Community Participant

Yes, I agree, it would be super helpful if you could preview the questions in a question bank and see them the way a student sees them. If we are going to be encouraged to use Question Banks, then the functionality needs to be improved. It's ridiculous to have to add the question to a quiz first to see what it looks like then to have to go back to the question bank to edit it. The 'view question details' does not show you what the students will see. 

Does anyone know if there's a feature request for this functionality?

Thanks!

anton-m

Is this still not fixed?

0 Kudos
Hailstorm
Community Participant

Not fixed.  

After writing a question, we should be able to preview the question as it will be seen by the student.  We should not have to look at the entire bank in order to view a question.  

Not belng able to preview a question is yet another shortcoming of Canvas.  It seems to me that a programmer shouldn't have too much trouble fixing this.

0 Kudos