Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parke
Community Member

Private Folders for Each Student

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I was wondering if there's a way to set up a confidential folder for each student so that they can upload their assignments to the course website knowing that their work will not be accessible to anyone but the instructor. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

@parke ‌- Are you looking for something beyond what is already in place? When you set up an assignment to be submitted online, unless it is a group assignment, the submission is only visible to course instructors (and system admins / support agents, if they have a need to be looking at it). And the file is added to the student's personal files area, which is basically their personal folder.

If you are dealing with particularly sensitive information, I can see how perhaps an added layer of privacy would be useful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

@parke ‌- Are you looking for something beyond what is already in place? When you set up an assignment to be submitted online, unless it is a group assignment, the submission is only visible to course instructors (and system admins / support agents, if they have a need to be looking at it). And the file is added to the student's personal files area, which is basically their personal folder.

If you are dealing with particularly sensitive information, I can see how perhaps an added layer of privacy would be useful.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @parke ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 25, 2018.  I am in agreement with  @tdelillo .  Each student does have a personal "Files" area within Canvas that cannot be accessed by anyone else.  And, as Tracey has indicated, when a file is submitted as part of an assignment, a copy of that file is saved to a student's personal "Files" area.  More information can be found in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10565-421241989  When a student looks at his/her own personal "Files" area, he/she will see a "My Files" folder, and then inside there will be a "Submissions" folder (which is in a "locked" state).  Opening up that folder will reveal additional course folders for any courses where the student has submitted at least one file to an assignment.  These folders/files cannot be deleted, and they also do not take up any of your allotted personal "Files" storage space.

Since we've not heard back from you, I am going to mark Tracey's answer as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions about this, please come back to this posting to provide us with an update so that we might be able to assist you.  Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you soon!