Problem: PDFs in File Repository Download as HTML Links

Jump to solution
echang
Community Novice

I am supporting users in classes that have pdf files stored in the Files repository. The users can click on the three dots (vertical ellipsis?) next to a file name and download the file there. The users can also click on the file to view the file in the preview window. All of this is expected behavior. But when the users click on the download button, a file downloads a file that contains an HTML link (as opposed to any all other users that get the actual PDF downloaded to their PC). When the HTML link is clicked, the user is asked for a user id and password, but their Canvas user ID and password don't work so the HTML link is useless. This started in one user in one class, but now I have a second user with the same problem in two different classes, so the problem appears to be growing. Has anyone seen this and know of a fix for this? 

0 Likes
3 Solutions

Hi, I was have been having the problem for two days. I realized that it was somehow connected to my using Safari. I realized that if you right click the link you want to download and choose "Open Link in New Window" it downloads PDF's like normal. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

I also just tried with a word document and a powerpoint and it seems to work on this too.

0 Likes

It also seems to work by right clicking on the link and having it open in a new tab.

0 Likes